The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far do you travel between sits when fox or coyote hunting in the big woods? I'm not sure how far to walk before calling again without just calling to the same animals.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Depends on the terrain. If its open and flat at least 1/4 mile or more. If its hilly and thick maybe not as far. Also depends on how hard the winds blowing.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I agree, weather and terrain will greatly affect how far I move between sets. I had success in thick stuff only moving a hundred yards, sometimes even less. Basically the hillier, and thicker the cover the less distance you need to travel between sets. Other factors can play into it as well from the wind to temperature to the activity level of critters.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good question..The terrain does have a lot to do with it.I have called one spot and moved over the hill 500 yards to the next spot and called in another.Although it seems if you have a call in on the second stop they seem to be on edge and hang ups are more frequent.1/4 mile is a safe distance for most cases maybe a bit more in flat land.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts