The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the striper season is officially open and I got the bug bad guys! I got next weekend off and wondering if it would be worth the drive out to Assateague island for some camping and fishing? Is anything going on in the surf this early in the season? I have trips planned in April/may. Should I just wait till then or give it a shot? Keep in mind this is if the weather is half decent.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I plan on doing this later in the week. But, I have been taught not to always trust what they say. Wanted to get others opinions.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
you might be able to catch schoolies in the surf. IMO i think its a little too early for the surf. Most of the bass are just starting to hit the spawning areas. But it will be a huge bonus if you land a fish, camping and spending time at assateague during the off season is a huge reward in it self. Good luck let us know how you make out

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think im just going to wait out the suspense and go with my original plan. Let me know if anyone is interested in meeting up. Ill be going to Assateague island April 9-11 and havent decided when im going to Cape May. ill also have April 25-28 May 6-9 off. Thinking May ill go to Cape May. Let me know if anyone will be around.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fished AI the 9-10th and caught one skate. I tried a bucktail teaser fly combo most of the time and fished bunker for the pm high tide on the 10th. The couple guys out fishing AI had a similar report. The weather was great so the bite should be on soon. The water temp. Was 47 i think.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fished AI 26th and caught 4 short stripers all on bloodworms. Fished OC the 27th with no luck. Going to Cape May next week for my last shot at the stripers

·
Registered
90 Posts
let me know how you make out ill be in southern jersey fishing a week after that

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The weather is cold and rough in cape may and from what i hear the fishing isnt good. Fished a bucktail for the pm hightide with no luck. Its crazy the difference from AI/OC. Seems like the bait of choice if clam. Gonna try frozen bunker tomorrow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
if your gonna be in the ocean city area next week let me know maybe we can meet up and do some fishing

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unfortunately im done till the fall. Ill post up when im goin to AI for the fall run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts