The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Things are getting crispy, well what's left that the deer haven't eaten. I intend to overseed with winter rye in 2 weeks if we get rain and the temps are still good.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
We got a splash of rain on Friday night. Our plots' soil is fairy high in organic matter, so the plots are doing pretty well for now....but we could definitely use a nice day or two of rain.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Mine are getting way over browsed for the amount of rain we've had. Acorns and beech nuts are dropping so that should slow things down a little.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Pleased with our corn behind the electric fence. Deer are hopping in some now but should be plenty of ears left to keep them visiting through rifle season. Planted some sweet corn in there too and that turned out great - quite a bit of that in the freezer to go with some venison. We should chop sweetcorn down and spread some winter rye.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
My rape and turnips went from "so thick and developed that it looked like you could sleep on it" to "wholly cow, where did it go"???? Seems like over night it went from full and lush to where the deer "mowed" it down to roughly 4-5 inches. Have not had any rain in roughly a month and you can definitely see the impact on the food plot. Sure hope we get it soon.

Chaos USMC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chaos - Not sure where you are in South Central PA, my camp is in Huntingdon County. Same thing for us this year. Turnips and radish were coming in great, 6-8" tall, then in a week period they got crushed!!! Never had the deer hit them so early before? Luckily there is still enough and combined with the adjacent clover plots the deer are still coming in on a regular basis.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Dorsey, we are in the same predicament. Plenty of plot left to regenerate.Great ground stock left as the deer seem to be feeding on the top 2" of the plantings. Hoping we make it to the first frost so we can get some heavy sugar moving into the crop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts