The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you release a trapped animal, lets say a coon or bob cat? I don't trap, just never got into it. Box traps on the farm for rabbits. I did come across a barn cat of a farmer friend in a trap and used my coat to cover it while I stepped on the trap spring. Darn cat tried to chew off my legs. So, with a coon or bobcat how do you do this without loosing your body parts.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I use a catch pole i made...i always make sure to get a front leg through on cats...their windpipe is real fragile and easy to choke out....only had to do feral cats....well, suspected feral cats....

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Good question, justshoot.
I use a catch pole.
I feel the PGC should make it law that every trapper should have a catch pole or release device.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with Hern. Everyone should carry a release pole in their truck.Sooner or later everyone that traps is going to catch a pet or nontarget animal and have to release it. Another thing,when new folks ask what they should get for equipment I think we should add the catch pole as priority equipment right up there with traps and lures. Most new trappers never think about a release pole till they need it then they don't have it.At all the trapping seminars I teach to young folks or beginning trappers I tell them that it is their responcibility to have a pole and know how to use it.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
How do you guys release with a cable restraint?

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">How do you guys release with a cable restraint?</span></span>
Catch Pole
Maybe a bit hairy and dance'n around doing the hokey pokey, chicken dance or moon walk but standing on the cable while getting the job done.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Ive never had to release from a CR....but a catch pole, walk the cable down, and use my cable cutters is my plan...i dont run my line without cable cutters and.my J hook tool..

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
With a bobcat and a snare you can use a box trap covered with something to make it dark. They will go in and it makes life much easier.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you have to release from a CR here is a simple thing to keep from getting tangled in the cable while you are trying to get the release cable on the animal's neck.Walk into the catch circle and the animal will go to the other side of the circle.In about 18" from the outside of the circle drive an 18"rebar stake and let about 6" stick up in the air.Walk around toward the side where the animal is and it will run the other way. It will wrap the cable around the stake you just drove and be confined to a small area and make it easier to get the loop on them. ( Talk about a heart pumper,have a gray fox wrap the cable around your ankle and be right up on your leg,Hern talked about doing the hokie pokie,I would have made a million if I could have had that dance on video.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts