The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I know was feeding the squirrels an ear of corn everyday in about a half dozen spots. When the snow got deep around the end of Jan., he stopped. Do you think the squirrels still knew enough to stash some for a wintery day or did they just pig out and are very skinny now?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They were stashing food for months before the snow. They can dig through snow, they will be fine.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I believe the squirrels left the area when the corn stopped being provided.

They probably moved to a residential area of primarily White Oaks.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have a ton of gray and black squirrels in the woods surrounding my property. I see several everyday and they look pretty fat and happy to me. No one is feeding them that I know of so they must have stashed plenty of chow this year. It's interesting to me that I saw them out running around on even the coldest mornings (-10). They're doing fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Squirrels really know how to shelter and are the best prepares around. If I had to pick one animal in the PA woods to tough out the storm it would be the Squirrel.....JRM404

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
They run around and breed around late January into Febuary. That is the squirrel rut. Won't be long and there will be little ones in the nest. Lots of hollow trees in the woods to stash nuts if they can't dig into the ground. If you had squirrel dogs you would notice the trees with holes in the a lot more than you would otherwise. What JRM said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts