The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you guys stay warm during the late season in your tree stand? I have been wondering how you could stay warm longer then an hour or 2?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Layers, wool, leave cotton home. Pair of hot hands can help.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Under armour, fleece, decent cold weather outerwear, and top that all off with the heater body suit. I've said it before, and I'll preach it again, the suit is hands down, the most critical article in my arsenal (aside from a weapon.)

Sure it costs over $300, but if mine was stolen today, I'd be ordering a new one first thing in the AM. Another item I added was heated insoles. Not the junk that thermacell makes, or the hot hands style. I bought the 12 volts. Sure there are a few wires, but keep the switch in your pocket and get yourself a small, 12v sealed lead acid battery (maybe 8 pounds.) You flick that switch and within 30 seconds your feet go from ice to warm. And then just shut them off to avoid your feet sweating.

If you want to be successful in the cold, you've got to be out in the cold. The longer you're there, the better your chances for success. I use it for waterfowl in the layout blind, late season bow sits, and all day bear hunts. Hunting all day (if need be) has become the norm and is basically my expectation. Pack a lunch and settle in.

Also to note, inside the heater body suit, I don't wear gloves, just a hand muff with a warmer inside. Here are few links.

Insoles
http://cozywinters.com/shop/wg-hil.html

Hand muff
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clot...=SBC;MMcat104797080;cat104358780;cat104041080

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Under Armor, polar weight e.c.w.s. and wool fatigue sweater with insulated hunting coat up top. polar weight e.c.w.s. ,jeans and insulated bibs down low . I also use an insulated hand warmer muff.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Now that I hit 40 to sit all day in the cold I put a XL hand warmer on my chest under my bibs and one on the back of my neck. It helps a lot

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was thinking. No matter how many layers, after a few hours you will be cold unless you have some kind of warming device.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
balaclava has saved my butt this year. Been out everyday of late season so far and the amount of body heat it keeps in is incredible.

My feet are eternally screwed though and have yet to figure out any kind of sock layering that works around 20 degrees.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Heavy weight polypropelene long underwear, wool shirt, Gander insulated bibs, camo jacket, poly socks under smartwool heavy wool socks, 1400 gram Irish Setter boots, insulated hat with ear flaps, fleece balaclava hood, hand muff and light weight gloves. Above all else, do not think about how cold it is! You will talk yourself into retreating to the truck every time if you think about how cold it is outside!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Under Armour Cold gear under wool........................

Dave

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
haha! I stayed warm in PA by staying out of tree stands in December. Somehow to me, bullets worked better than archery strings, in frigid December cold.
Sometimes it just seemed to make sense in getting out of open cold and hiding on the ground with a bunch of trees cutting the wind down.

To stay warm, I dressed ugly, never being a candidate for a fashion magazine. Big rubber bottom boots, big shooting mittens, and stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I use a heated back wrap from the local Rite-aid. It's a piece of gauze that wraps around your lower back, has 2 pockets(over the kidney area) for heater packs(after using the 2packs that came with it I now use the disposible hand warmer packs).

·
Registered
19 Posts
wool socks
1000 gram thinsulate danner pronghorn boots
knee high gortex gaiters
union suit
under armour cold gear turtle neck
fleece pull over
uninsulated bib overalls
insulated coat
fleece stalking hat
Hot Hands if its real cold
Light pair of gloves and and face mask
and something to insulted to sit on
The biggest thing ive found out by trail and error is to stand up most of the time and walk slowely to your spot. try not to sweat
Warm feet and a warm but makes it much easier to stay out in the cold for long periods of time!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I remember last late season I spent quite a few mornings in my climber with just about every stitch of clothing that I had. This year, though not as cold, has yielded a new way to deal with the cold. Inside! Im laid up with the flu. I havent even plowed my driveway or shoveled my sidewalks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts