The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you put your flint in, # 1 or 2? I have tried it both ways. Guy at the shop said #1 was right. I am not getting real good spark. Maybe I will try a new frizzen. How many shots are they good for on a TC Renegade? Mine has been shot quite a bit.

·
Registered
895 Posts
go see Jim @ Ft. Chambers gun shop....take your flinter with you......he can solve your problem !!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
#1 Because it hits the frizzen higher.A frizzen should last along time if its just used for hunting.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I agree with the comment that #1 strikes higher on the frizzen. I always try the #1 position first. 99% of the time it provides the best spark. I have run across a couple traditions and CVAs that liked #2 better. All my Lymans like the #1. Different locks have different geometry.

As far as how long they last....Many here like old eglish etc.. I am a premium cut agate guy and I gets tons of shot from one of them. Again I think it's the geometry of the lock. I use a very thin piece of leather also, not the thick pieces that come with some flints and guns. I actually use leather from worn out mechanics gloves. I buy the TC PREMIUM cut agates. They are a light sometimes opaque color. The regular TC cut agates are gray and in my experience are not worth buying at all. I have bought them on occasion and for me they did not perform well. The premiums seem harder and less likely to chip away as fast.

Thats the frustrating part about this addiction....what works for some very well fails miserably for others. So many variables to consider. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i my self use the english flints but if i had to go off your picture i would go with the frist but you did say it was for a T/C i would change the frizzen and go with a lyman just because they are better

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Guys, I have found that it is a preference per weapon. I use the dark cut agates, not white. I have a Pedersoli KY rifle that likes the bevel up, and a T/C Hawken that likes them down. And neither wear the flint much. I just 00 steel wool the frizzens once a year. Too many nicks on the frizzen is what catches and chews up the flint.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a traditions Pa Pellet flinter, #1 was the only way it would spark as #2 would not flip the frizzen over so I polished the lip that rides on the spring so it would flip over easier, Great spark now but still only works with #1.
Good Luck, Stan

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was looking at some other posts on here and realized that I have the old style TC lock. I'm going to send it back for an update. Maybe that will help my lack of sparking issue.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Bevel up or down is a matter of what works best for your lock and is not as critical as what material you use to hold the flint in the jaws. I have always used a thin sheet of lead becasue it has been my experience that it lessens the possibility of "chatter" when the flint is scraping the frizzen.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
it wont do you any good to send the old style lock back because T/C wont do anything for you since the closed up shop and dont do any warranties anymore

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess they will send it back to me then because I packed it up and sent it today to the address on their website. I didn't know you could just quit doing warranty work unless you are GM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts