The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you're packing a climber on your back?
It's got a sling, but i can't see using that when walking with the climber. Tonight was the first time I hunted with the x-bow, and carrying is definitely different than with a compound, especially loaded with a bolt.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
makeitcount said:
when you're packing a climber on your back?
It's got a sling, but i can't see using that when walking with the climber. Tonight was the first time I hunted with the x-bow, and carrying is definitely different than with a compound, especially loaded with a bolt.
They are a interesting contraption at times. Diffcult to carry, especially when one has a back, stand or other things along for the trip. I generally, don't carry my bow cocked for safety reasons. I just repsect the energy in those limbs to much. I have slung them over my shoulder, carried them in my hand and put them on the Matsko Crossbow pack. Not sure I prefer any of them as each has it drawbacks.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Mine stays unloaded, on my shoulder until I get ti the stand. When I'm comming out I'm either still hunting my way out and thus carrying it in my hands or if I must sling it, I wrap a rubber band around the safety to hold it down until I get to my truck and my bag target. Only thing I don't like about Parker X-Bows...the safety can be bumped into the firing position fairly easilly if you aren't carefull...which I ALWAYS am.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a ten point stealth xlt and it is very difficult for me to carry if i have other items. I do have a sling on it, so i just put it across my back, unloaded. On my way out, i take the bolt out and use the sling again. I have a double safety, so i don't think it will dry fire. Then when i get home i shoot into my block. I usually have my husband or son with me when I'm hunting, so they carry the backpack. I haven't hunted from a stand, so i guess that's not a problem. I'm looking at getting a backpack with crossbow carrier. If i go out alone, I'm not far from my car, so i put what i need in my pockets and use the sling.

·
Registered
79 Posts
mightyjoeyoung said:
Only thing I don't like about Parker X-Bows...the safety can be bumped into the firing position fairly easilly if you aren't carefull...which I ALWAYS am.
agreed about the safety, but shouldn't the anti-dry fire mechanism also backup the safety?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
steveg said:
mightyjoeyoung said:
Only thing I don't like about Parker X-Bows...the safety can be bumped into the firing position fairly easilly if you aren't carefull...which I ALWAYS am.
agreed about the safety, but shouldn't the anti-dry fire mechanism also backup the safety?
Yes it would, but I don't trust that either. It could still damage the string enough for a catastrophic failer. I carry mine with a bolt on the rail as well, as let's say the thing actually did go off while it was slug over my shoulder. The bolt ends up sitting above my face by a good bit, so I would rather have it fire a bolt than go off,have the anti-dryfire fail, and blow up on my shoulder, right next to my face! Geez! Gives me a chill just thinking about that!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a sling on my excalibur. When I have the tree stand on my back I carry my back pack around front and hold my bow like a gun.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried several methods, each being awkward in it's own regard. If the bow is cocked as on the way back to the truck, the drawn string makes it even more awkward. I guess I'll have to experiment with a few things to find one that works for me.
Even walking in with the bow not cocked had the stock clunking against the stand on my back.

Good points to unload the bolt unless I happen to be still hunting.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
There are different ways that you can carry it, but any way you do it there is one simple fact. A crossbow is an awkward piece of equipment to carry comfortably. This is one issue I don't see changing unless a manufacturer comes up with a foldable design.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts