The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering... in more populated areas of the state with a lot of people, will highways (or even creeks/rivers)affect turkey movement? Im seeing many large winter flocks recently and some are in areas that are seemingly less than ideal habitat for spring time any way. In our area the deer regularly cross highways in their every day lives without much thought, as do most other critters. Do turkeys get used to dealing with obstacles like that and simply fly across busy roads and highways when dispersing? Or is it something they will do only when extremely pressured to do so?

·
Registered
355 Posts
around here they cross roads an creeks all the time its part of thier daily routine...they dont seem to mind at all...my gf actually walked within about 5 feet of a strutting tom a few years ago an it just stood there while she took sum pictures of it...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Right bird right time it is all about love this time of year.
Had a bird last year gobble in heavy hunted farm land/mountain tops up in Wayne county PA.He was at least 700 yds away or more on opposite mtn.Three hunting buds ducked for cover when we struck the bird.I sat in the field and laughed said that bird would never come!
First he came down the mtn. , then crossed a secondary rd. ,crossed a approved trout stream with fishermen in it,crossed 2 barb wire fences and picked up three jakes on the way. My one friend wacked the jake,The tom and his two jake friend flew back to the other mtn. On the way out we met the fly fishermen that listened and witnessed the event take place they said the birds came down and jumped across the river like school girls not wanting to get there feet wet. That day proved to me there is no such thing as a hung up bird.Do not get me wrong they will get hard headed sometime and draw the line..Just give it your best.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I think roads any waterways are more of an object to us than to the turkeys. I live right along a road that is moderately traveled. The local flocks cross the road into my yard all the time. Only times they get bothered is when some idiot comes flying through and can't get stopped, then it scatters them a little.
I had a spot along the Clkarion River where I was hunting for a while and observed them flying across it all the time. My family also has a farm with a decent sized stream running through it. I see them flying across it all the time too. In fact they frequently roost along it and fly down to the other side.

Neither of these is an obstacle to them IMHO.

I've also shot birds called across roads and waterways.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about major roads like busy 4 lane highways? Im in an area where some birds are literally surrounded by busy roads....same deal? If they feel like crossing they will? Or only under pressure or extremes?

·
Registered
882 Posts
They'll disperse just fine.

Birds are in winter survival mode right now. These large flocks are interested in just one thing.....the easiest available food. Sometimes that's in areas of high human densities(close to town or highways). Those cut corn fields with scattered waste grain in them don't just draw the deer to them in the evenings, they'll draw the turkeys to them during the day as well. And these birds are visible to everyone. Back when I was younger and use to start scouting in early March, I use to think I found turkey hunting utopia. Lots of birds, a dozen or more longbeards and lots of jakes. They'd be chasing each other, strutting, and feeding. It was neat to watch....but I also noticed other people(in pick-ups and camo jackets
) watching too. If it was private land that you couldn't get permission to hunt on.....I'd just sit back and feel jealous of those few that got to hunt that "turkey haven." If it was public or private land that anyone could hunt if they asked, then there'd be a mass of hunters there opening day too. As I got older.....and hopefully a little wiser.......I took notice that the numbers seemed to be getting less and less as it got closer to the season. Back then I just assumed that some of the birds were just staying back in the woods and they weren't coming out all at once anymore. Now I know better........(there always seemed to be some birds that stayed around that area once the season came in......but nothing in the numbers like back in late winter/early spring).

I have spring turkey hunting spots that I never see turkeys in this time of year. But one day, as I'm out listening at daybreak..... some time in April.....they'll be that 1st gobble(or two) in the spot that I hadn't seen/heard them in since last year. That's when I smile and think of that little boy's voice in a late 70s, Steven Spielberg film when he says......."They'rrrre Baaaaaaack!"

Whether houses, roads, rivers, or any other objects....the birds will disperse just fine.
Happy hunting.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
In my experience...45 years of chasing them in 17 different states...they do not matter...heck it seems lately that I've been tagging toms within 100 yards of roads more than away from them...when I go to a different state I look for open fields, power lines, old dirt roads and any water resource before I start hunting all on public grounds..works like a charm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts