The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to sell a Winchester model 70 that I have but I never did a person to person transaction. Is there any paperwork I need or the person buying needs? Thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
Nope, take the cash, hand them the gun...

Nothing else needed for a long gun such as a rifle.

My suggestions though:

Keep info on the gun. SN etc.
Get the Buyers name, I like to keep it. (I usually ask to se id)
Make sure they are over 18

·
Registered
485 Posts
another suggestion is the write two copies of bill of sale with all particulars with you signing one for him, with him signing one for you. if a copier is available copy his photo id. cya as much as possible.

·
Registered
701 Posts
burk313 just because you ship it to a ffl in Pa doesn't mean a back round check is being done. If you sell me a gun and I pay you then you ship it to a ffl and the seller and buyer are Pa resident no back round check needs to be done on a long gun your just using the ffl as a mailing address.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You need to call the MD State police to answer that question...Maryland tries its best to hinder firearm ownership in its state..Its laws do not apply to PA..

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Jake,you give your neighbor a gun and he gives you CASH,he goes to the local shopping mall and goes nuts you will not have a penny to spend the rest of your life..

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
burk313 said:
Jake,you give your neighbor a gun and he gives you CASH,he goes to the local shopping mall and goes nuts you will not have a penny to spend the rest of your life..
Why? The buyer proves residency and completes a bill of sale, and the seller has done nothing wrong. If you legally sell that same neighbor a car, let's even say that he doesn't have a drivers license, and he gets drunk, and kills someone on the road, are you legally responsible ?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Burk 313 Are you serious? SO in your mind you send a Christmas card to a friend and while opening up the card he gets a paper cut on his finger from the envelope and gets a infection from your saliva and dies your going to jail for involuntary manslaughter and your family will loose everything in a civil lawsuit right? Djavascript: void(0)o you look over your shoulder hoping that used baseball bat you had as a kid wasn't used in a assault? I don't why you would think the seller would be responsible for the action of the shooter Ohh what that's right unless your one of those people who think its the cops fault for protecting himself instead of saying if you don't beat up store owners and steal the cop wouldn't be there in the first place.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
I shipped a gun out on friday to a private individual via fed express.They called me on saturday and told me it had to go to a ffl.I've done this before with UPS and it was never a problem.I argued my case with the guy and he's supposed to call me back today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
dce.... I've had that happen a few time with FedEx also. Usually it turns out to just be a new person or someone that doesn't know the rules/laws yet. They will usually get schooled on it and problem solved. If not... Start barking up another tree and you'll get your problem solved.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Fed Ex and UPS retailers sometimes have a "No Gun" policy. It's up to them what they chose to ship. I was once told by a USPS clerk that I couldn't ship a rifle thru the mail. I firmly asked to speak to the Postmaster, and he cleared it up. BTW.... Any gun that is shipped thru an FFL is subject to Pa Instacheck when the buyer picks it up. The FFL must log it in upon receipt, and a background check run when the buyer picks it up, just as if the FFL is selling the firearm. So if you have a rifle shipped to an FFL for you, and you can't pass a backround check, you don't get the gun.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts