The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know a lot of you by your handles. Kinda got most of the things on my bowhunting bucket list to the point I am content to move on down a very long and interesting trail. Now switched to the Longrifles, and all the artforms involved there. Might be writing soon for NMLRA, a dream in it's own, have been involved in Black Powder since I was kid. I glanced through here pretty thoroughly and love everything I See and read. Feel I might have something to offer. First off would be to offer the first piece of anything you do will end up being someone in your family's most valuable piece of family history long after you are 'another trail". I've got stuff here 5 generations old now and still in use every open season. In one way you will be on the hunt with them long after your time:) THAT is real nice to think about:) Downloaded about 2500 photos taken over the last ten years, two days ago, be very happy to share some of them. Most of them taken to support DIY projects. The really good photos aren't mine:) My work, his photos:) I'm goona nap for a while, the coyotes were howling a bit ago right behind the house, and the turkeys are gobbling now across the creek. Always go to one of the decks before light, depending of course on how I dressed for the nap. Front deck faces the road, Jammies. Back deck doesn't, au naturel:)
later,
ed

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Give just a little time, have got to get my head wrapped around how to get photos where I need them to be electronically??
Usta be able to do..pretty sure I can learn it again. By the way you couple characters up there, You like thick sliced bacon on stick over the coals, ontop sour dough biskits? :) I think we'll get along just fine, thanks. For now, keep the fire going til I get back with the proof........

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentlemen of the realm:)
Last evening I stood by(only to observe..and smile) as My ten year old grandson started the skinning of a very young raccoon who met an untimely demise. He started with tears in his eyes, told him only 'been there done that, I would have been surprised if you hadn't." Then I watched as he skinned with the precision of a surgeon. My wife took the photos. I realized my grandson is fully capable of teaching an advance level course on Brain Tanning Furs and hides. He does a lot of our 'work' :)...with stone tools:) I really do try to hide my pride....
ed

·
Premium Member
23,613 Posts
Hi Ed!!! Been a few moons since I stopped by your place along the Sock to pay ya a visit while hauling my lil Sully Buck down Rt 87!! Your place was magnificent and in it's final stages of completion!!!

Sure glad to see ya back in here & look fwd to your postings!!:smile2:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Partner, needed just as sorely as be back on this site, to go North to Sully yesterday myself. Sullivan County be the root source of my dad's pursuit of Horticulture. Lot of very old family history in the area across Hillsgrove and up through Shunk and Ellenton area. What I saw should gladden every outsdoorsman's heart as it did mine. Everything is exactly as it should be for the finest seasons for ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING in decades. The sign is all there. Don't much matter which outdoor pursuit one chooses 'pursue' it's gonna be great! Fishing, shrooming, gobbler hunting...all the way to next next seasons' flintlock season. The trip provided a LOT more than just the last tree stand still out. (afore anybody throws the Red Flag, it wasn't accessible since early January due to ice. And at 65 I don't hike that far unless I really need to any more:) HAve a Great day ya'll!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One other thing here, this morning, while I pontificate. We now have whitetail hunting in Pennsylvania that equals anyplace I have hunted that Noble Creature. In every sense..you ALL made that happen. By the very simple process of Networking, enough sportsmen's organizations, here in our home state, made the changes necessary. And so we have it. ABUNDANT opportunities for ourselves, and in my case my grandchildren who are already, eating it up, literally:) Best part for me, as Mentioned above I'm 65. The 'price' of my outdoor interests just went down. The monies i once spent to support our state agencies responsible for the stewardship of all the above, I now spend on licensing for my grandchildren and kids who families can't really afford all those priveliges for their own. The closing/parting line for anything I write for publication from now on will be Pass it along, Pay it forward. I'd bet my last colonial era silver coin, ya'll get the gist of that:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Loggy, that is the horn I did the most of the carving on at that club just west, above Blossburg in a weekend, at the campfire with new friends, with my Schrade pocket knife. The schnozzle plug is a piece of bison horn, carved as a Raven's head and covers the schnozzle, waterproof! The eyes of the raven are pieces of caribou hoof, gifts of a friend from NY, bounty of he and wife's hunt in Quebec. They thought of my uses of such materials while on their successful Trad archery hunt! The eyes were filed on dop sticks by hand, done so the layers of the hoof provide the pupils of the eye, well, the whole eyeball. It's my first 'Flatter' to boot. The inlays and filet work on the plug are simply jewelry techniques I use frequently. The rearward Lanyard/Strap 'eye' is a waste? piece of copper wire, hammer forged on a small jeweler's anvil. The threads are hand filed in the jeweler's block. The Paua shell leaves in the rear plug were shaped from small pieces my sister gave me as a Christmas gift. That's the Gist of it:) Thank you Sir..for asking.

·
Premium Member
23,613 Posts
That's amazing craftsmanship there Ed!! I may have even seen that hanging on your wall with all the other fascinating items when I payed you a visit. Of course, ole Loggy's 67 year old mind don't recollect as it used too!!:smile2: That was 2014 buck season but one thing that I clearly remember was that unbelievable massive foundation your abode was built on elevating it above harms way!! You were heading down the home stretch as to completion back then for sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts