The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hunting partners dad died a few years back. He was the same size as I am and she gave me a bunch of his hunting clothes. Last season I used a GoreTex camo jacket and pants set for waterfowl hunting. I noticed the crotch seam in the pants leaks (yeh, ... an uncomfortable place to spring a leak).

Is there anyway to repair a leaky seam in GoreTex. The pants are uninsulated, have a mesh liner, then the GoreTex liner, then a camo outer shell to them.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I do not think you can repair goretex..If you cut into it will leak...Best to use it as it is or toss it and get a new goretex..

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Seam Sealer, any outdoor store will carry it in the camping section. I like the liquid used for tent seams. It is common on gore-tex garments that they stitch right through the gore-tex layer and of course that will be the weak link. Good idea to use it on all the seams before the problem starts. That seam was probably pulling harder than the others.

You may also find especially after washing the outer fabric will saturate when wet. The Gore-tex will still keep you dry but will completely lose its ability to breathe because of the saturated outer fabric. Then you sweat and get wet on the inside swearing the gore-tex is leaking. If it saturates just spray it with fabric waterproofing. I usually do mine every few years.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Get out your wader repair kit or buy one and use the "cement" to glue the seam back together.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tundragriz said:
Seam Sealer, any outdoor store will carry it in the camping section. I like the liquid used for tent seams. It is common on gore-tex garments that they stitch right through the gore-tex layer and of course that will be the weak link. Good idea to use it on all the seams before the problem starts. That seam was probably pulling harder than the others.

You may also find especially after washing the outer fabric will saturate when wet. The Gore-tex will still keep you dry but will completely lose its ability to breathe because of the saturated outer fabric. Then you sweat and get wet on the inside swearing the gore-tex is leaking. If it saturates just spray it with fabric waterproofing. I usually do mine every few years.
Yes, the outter camo layer does get saturated. I will try some waterproofing spray on the outter layer.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I was involved with a development of the Gore-Tex Material Seam Sealing Machine.

The seal is made by two wheels with a hot air nozzle. The material is smashed while hot creating the seam.

I would imagine some type of epoxy or if you can get it hot use the technique above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts