The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
For those of us that killed a buck outside of the rifle season and cannot see the results, please update the thread periodically of the results. Be cool to see how it plays out.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I thought, stand hunting will still be proven the most effective method for hunters to take a buck even with limited hunting pressure to keep them moving. I think this trend will continue throughout the poll.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Ah man I wanted to see the results. I killed my buck with a bow. But I did kill a button buck with a rifle while standing on the edge of a field at last light. But I suppose a button buck doesn't count for this poll either.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I don't think stand hunting is the "most effective", but rather its the most popular. Heaven forbid if most hunters actually moved. They are afraid they might bump that buck thats been on trail cam off their property or into another hunter.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
bigbear said:
I don't think stand hunting is the "most effective", but rather its the most popular. Heaven forbid if most hunters actually moved. They are afraid they might bump that buck thats been on trail cam off their property or into another hunter.
Moving around produces some short term activity. The deer you don't kill the first time you spook them will be pushed to where you can't legally hunt them and/or make them more nocturnal. More and more hunters are learning this.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I don't see an option for trackers, either...

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I walked the tops of slashing in an old strip mined area. Deer ran right at me, I took her with my 12 guage. I stand hunt during archery season, stretch my legs with a rifle or shotgun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Son (Youth) - Two does from treestand in youth season
Son (Youth) - Spike as a stander on a drive
Cousin - Two does as a stander on a drive
Cousin - 9 point buck as a stander on a drive
Me - Doe as a stander on a drive

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Should be able to make multiple votes. I took both my bucks this year (one in OH and one in PA) using two different methods/weapons and I still have 2 doe tags that'll get used in as many ways I can think of...legally of course. Likely one with the .54 flinter and the other with the xbow...

·
Registered
822 Posts
not yet , hopefully late archery , bad hip wasted whole month of October , that's when it was hot here , chasing started real early where I hunt .Got to locate some acorns .

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
bigbear said:
Moving around produces some short term activity. The deer you don't kill the first time you spook them will be pushed to where you can't legally hunt them and/or make them more nocturnal. More and more hunters are learning this.
+

Sorry, I'm just used to hunting where there aren't property lines to worry about. My mistake.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts