The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
We had 16 runs and killed 8 off of my 4 year old beagle. All rabbits ran well but tough to get shots cause everything is thick. Great day in the field spent with my dad brother and friend

·
Registered
24,754 Posts
had a real nice day once we found a spot out of the wind... had five dogs down two hunters dogs and guns did there job... 3 rabbits for 4 shots ( I missed one with the right and got him with the left barrel
) and connected with the last shot ... My parter went one for one..

I wasn't even going to bring a gun today but he wanted some rabbit... so today I doubled my season total from last year!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
6 down with 5 dogs on the ground and two hunters. We missed four other ones we didn't get so we should have limited it was tough shooting with the brush still up. I was very surprised how well the running was with the extreme wind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Started on some gamelands in Beaver county, ran 4 got one. Hard to see the bunnies and after a few circles they holed but really good runs. Went to a farm after that and ran 6 got 4. Dogs did well for how windy it got, and rabbits ran far. good first day

·
Registered
465 Posts
I seem to generally not have very long runs in there early season but they were all longer yesterday. wonder if the wind or temp had something to do with it

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I turned 4 dogs loose a half an hour before sun up and had steady running until 11:30 there were 2 of us and my buddy shot 2. Very thick and hard to get shots.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Due to work and weather on Saturday, today was my first day.

Chased pheasants for an hour with my three year old with no success.

Dropped the two 11 month old gyps shortly thereafter and the chase was on. Saw at least three (all on the circle). Several other times I thought I heard a bunny go by and it was confirmed by a brace of squalling hounds shortly thereafter.

I didn't fire a shot as I am waiting for a sure thing with hounds in full cry to prevent gun shyness.

I'm not complaining though. They ran the best they ever have, and there hunt seems to be picking up big time. I'm sure I'll be cleaning a couple of bunnies before long.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hunted pheasants on game lands near denver pa with no luck.I saw quite a few birds but never had much of a shot considering it was wall to wall people out there sat morning. I hunted rabbits in the afternoon with my 14 year old step son on private land but didnt jump a single rabbit all day.Overall it was still a great day with a first time hunter.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I took out my future son-in-law this morn.. He never hunted over beagles and never shot a rabbit. I took 4 dogs aged 6 -8 yrs. they did not disapoint . brandon missed a wookcock and pheasant . then the dogs jumped a rabbit and ran it stop & go for over an hr. he missed it twice and finally connected when it crossed a gulley. The dogs had some good check work . Tough to see the rabbits and they were squatting alot .3 rabbits ran in abot 2 1/2 hrs. he's hooked now.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Had a bunch of chases, a few misses, but finally got one. Things were thick and green and the bunnies were sticking to those areas hard. Corn was still up in some places and few busted up into the corn. We don;t let em run long in the corn.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
treed74 said:
Had a bunch of chases, a few misses, but finally got one. Things were thick and green and the bunnies were sticking to those areas hard. Corn was still up in some places and few busted up into the corn. We don;t let em run long in the corn.
Why not in the corn? I love corn chases,super hard to kill and never ending. For some reason the rabbits seem to feel comfortable enough not to go in a hole when corn running. Around and around.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Smoke'n Mack said:
treed74 said:
Why not in the corn? I love corn chases,super hard to kill and never ending. For some reason the rabbits seem to feel comfortable enough not to go in a hole when corn running. Around and around.
We let em go out and come back and if that rabbit don;t break from the corn we call em off. When its just training time, let em run all the laps they want till they come back with their tongues dragging. Some days they break, and others they don;t.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I got ya. That's what I'm looking for around here. Rabbits don't come easy sometimes and the one's that don't want to hit a hole come even less, so I'll stand there all day and try to kill the one in the corn while listening to the dogs.

I like a dog that can throw it down on bare dirt and mud in the corn too!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I had an awesome corn field run yesterday.

·
Registered
193 Posts
if monday is any indication of what the season will be like im loving it. There where rabbits everywhere. we bagged 6 and ran a bunch more that we either missed or just couldnt see because its still so thick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts