The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some cantelope plants in June. Figured they would still make fruit for mid september? So here it is late July and while I have tons of blossoms, I am not seeing any melons starting. What's up wit dat?

·
Registered
20,780 Posts
I always got way more flowers than I got fruits. Give it another couple weeks or a month.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I planted mine the first week of June and finally noticed a couple starting to grow yesterday.Give them a little more time yet,they should start soon.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Cantalopes produce two types of flowers. One type has male and female parts, the other type has only male parts. so there will always be more flowers then fruit. Certain circumstances can cause them to produce only male flowers. High heat is one of them. Nematodes can also cause lots of flowers and no fruit.

But more likely, most melons require lots of water and lots of heat to really produce. Usually 2-3 months of hot weather is needed. We've only really had a month of nice hot weather. I know the growth my mini watermelon, pumpkin and butternut squash vines has exploded the last 2 or 3 weeks but before that was slow. So you probably just need more time.

Cantalope FAQ

How to grow cantalope and honeydew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts