The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 4 wheeler and I'm wondering how much engine do I need. I usually take the approach, "bigger is better", when it comes to toys.

How much more do you get with a 800-850cc vs. a 500-550cc?

I will be using it for riding on moderately rugged trails on my land, hauling fire wood, and hopefully hauling deer.

Also, what brand and how many cc's are you riding?

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I own a 700 efi polaris sportsman and its a fuel pig. I love it, but it kills the wallet. I would reccomend a 500 efi sportsman. the efi is very nice. you don't need anymore than a 500 in all honesty, anything more is just for bragging. lol

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
with the way that manufactures are offering smaller cc qauds with the same benifits of the bigger bore machines. I doubt you will need more then a 500. but it is nice to rip with a big bore. what brand are you looking at buying? the polaris 550 xp has allmost as much hp as some of the other brands big bores have. the 850 is a small truck on four wheels.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750. I had a Suzuki Twin Peaks 700 (same as Kawasaki Prarie 700) before. These big engines put out a lot of power and really good acceleration. I have never ridden an 800 or 850.

In my opinion, though, the huge engines (750+) are not necessary for moving wood or dragging deer. A 500 will do anything a 750 will except won't have quite the acceleration and top-end speed. For plowing, moving wood, pulling deer, pulling food plot implements, ect., a 500cc+ atv is limited more by traction than by engine power. A 500 usually weighs about the same as a 750 (at least the Kawasakis do) and handles the same size tires. You could tie a 500 to a house and spin the tires (especially if it has a low range). Once the tires start slipping it doesn't matter if it's a 10000 cc, it isn't going to pull any harder.

I think there is a certain amount of one-upsmanship in engine size on quads. If you can afford a bigger one go for it. But practically speaking, a mid size atv (400-500) can do just about anything a big bore can.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
/\ exactly what he said /\

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
i'm in the same boat as the original poster though my main purpose would be for winter driveway plowing, least thats what i'm selling the wife on.

we gotta wait another month or so but i have been looking around and my final decision will probobly come down to price ( meaning how much the wife will let me spend)

i will probobly be able to afford a top of the line but not sure i need all that so we will have to see. there are some great deals on the brute force 650 right now. if i was buying today that would be my choice i think

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have a polaris sportsman 500 efi and it has done well with everything I've thrown at it. I too have always thought bigger is better but in this case the 500 has been great. I have hauled deer and just got done hauling HUGE loads of wood on a 6x5 trailer behind the quad.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would go for around a 400cc or more.. i personally own 2 250's and we WORK them.. haul up to 400lbs, haul deer, anything you could imagine and they get the job done, im not suggesting a 250 but you dont need all the cc's unless your looking for the speed

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i have a 500 efi polaris and i love it my buddy has an 850 xp and it def has more power/accel. but it also uses twice the fuel mine does .

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Hunterbloom is right about the 250's. They are good machines but the power is limited for utility work. I don't think any 250's have a low range. They also normally don't have a liquid cooled engine or 4 wheel drive. A 500 4x4 is a HUGE improvement over a 250 for utility work (plowing, hauling, etc.). A 750 is a small upgrade over a 500. "Diminishing returns" is a principle that comes to mind. I had a 250 and loved it (it was my favorite quad for trail riding) but it doesn't have the power to turn the wheels pulling real heavy load. A 500, particularly with a low range will turn the wheels (all 4) pulling any load and is limited only by traction. The price of a 500 4x4 may be twice as much but it is 5 times as capable in utility applications as a 250 IMO. a 750 will cost $3k more than a 500 and you will have more acceleration and top end (bragging rights) but little if any change in capability in utility applications.

Tater: The BF 650i is a nice machine. I have a 2008 BF750i. Supposedly the 650 is designed to be a little sportier than the 750 and is actually supposed to be a bit faster than the 750.

·
Registered
25,838 Posts
Farmboy cousin that lives across the valley from my camp, has a 4x4 Polaris Sportsman 400-something, think it's a 2000 model or thereabouts? His son bought it new.

We've skidded sizeable logs with it and often pull a trailer with hundreds of pounds of rocks or cut firewood behind it.

Plenty enough power for me, if I ever wanted to replace my little 220 Bayou with a larger machine. The Polaris is also pretty thrifty on fuel, too.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I bought a Yamaha Grizzly 700 last summer. I was originally looking for something used in the 400 to 500cc range and couldn't find anything decent. It plows snow, drags logs, moves trailers with ease and has done everything I have asked it to do. My mileage is pretty constant around 23MPG. I would rate it 9.5/10.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I bought a 2001 Honda rubicon 500cc, full time 4wd, with @1800 miles on it back in 2003. This is a beast & the ATV mechanic that I use said Honda is the best machines & have the least amount of problems.

We bought a add on rack for the rear & so far we had 2 treestands, 2 deer, & two people on the ATV while riding without any problems.

Also, this ATV can traverse water up to the seat that I have done crossing a quick rain filled creek on my property.

Since I have owed this ATV, tyhe only thing that we have done to it was tune ups, oil changes, & a new battery.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
mud bog guys are a different breed though. you need to realize that they need HP to turn 30" tires in thick goopy mud. also depending on what you are using them for I would watch out for canam's. I have heard that their frames are weak and only a couple hits to a rock and they will start becoming weak.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
do not get me wrong. HP is great to have fun with. but that is why most of the times you will see the popo's and the canams dominating mud. now that you have quads pushing the limits the thundercat for example I have to question the sanity of most riders. in the end when you ride with a group you are going to end up getting at the same spot at the same time. most of the bigger quads are tuned through clutching or the EFI system to have the same noticable power as a quad with a little smaller CC's. I know that the new 850xp polaris has sits ya back in your seat big time. it all depends on what you want to do. do ya want braggin rights? or a machine that will do the same thing only without as many $$$$'s Just a thought

1 - 20 of 34 Posts