The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a longrifle I wanted to hang on the wall in the offseason and cant find any images of one I like to make for hanging the gun on the wall. Does anyone here have any suggestions or pictures they are willing to share? I dont think I want to use the brass hooks, I heard some guys use dowel pins or antlers. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I'd go with antlers. Maybe a set from a forkhorn. Take a 1x6 piece of rough cut cedar however long you feel you need, cut the base of the antler however will give you the best angle, and screw through the back of the board into the antlers (drill them first obviously). You could shape the board however you like and give it a nice routered edge.

Or do the same thing but use pegs meant for a coat rack instead of antlers.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Nice piece of rough cut hemlock unedged looks good. Cherry, oak, etc... The rougher the look the better, usually can find some pretty cheap or free, the more character the better. Can always use turkey feet "seasoned" bent to shape, antlers are good, wrought iron, like twisted square with an el in it. Use your rustic imagination.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
i will be making some in my blacksmith shop in the next couple weeks for myself. if you think you may want some handmade ones let me know. i have a couple ML to put up on the wall myself.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I took two 10# rated picture hangers,and nailed them to the wall, making sure I hit the studs. Then cut 2 pieces of heavy duty raw hide shoe strings about 12 inches long. Tied a loop to each end. The raw hide cradles the gun with the loops looped over the hooks. Doesn't look to bad and is quick and cheap.
I've seen a lot of hangers made out of deer feet. Bend the hooves to a 90 degree angle and tie in that position. Drill out as much of the bone marrow as possible, fill cavity with table salt and let dry. Fasten the dried legs to a board with a screw through the back.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I have seen some really nice ones made from old horseshoes. They are padded inside to prevent damage. Pretty easy to do if you weld, or just drop off 4 shoes at a shop, would be a chip shot for a welder.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I forgot to mention, the 18th century Artisans show at Lewisburg this week will have several different craftsmen selling period reproductions. There will be rifle hangers for sale there for sure.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Coureur De Bois said:
I took two 10# rated picture hangers,and nailed them to the wall, making sure I hit the studs. Then cut 2 pieces of heavy duty raw hide shoe strings about 12 inches long. Tied a loop to each end. The raw hide cradles the gun with the loops looped over the hooks. Doesn't look to bad and is quick and cheap.
I've seen a lot of hangers made out of deer feet. Bend the hooves to a 90 degree angle and tie in that position. Drill out as much of the bone marrow as possible, fill cavity with table salt and let dry. Fasten the dried legs to a board with a screw through the back.
I used rawhide strings along time ago to hang a gun on the wall and found the string that was in contact with the barrel rusted the barrel. I keep all my guns put away now but have brass hooks mounted on my wooden gun cabinet door to hang a gun during the flint season or if I was shooting it.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I have 5 muzzy's displayed in my outdoor room. All are hung on the single brass hooks that you can buy at Lowe's for a bit under $2. One that the trigger guard rests on, and another 2/3 way up the barrel. Look really nice, especially if the guns have brass accents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts