The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couple of us are talkin about heading to camp next weekend...

i have an itchin to try to trap some more reds up there since i dont have any here at home...

are they lookin real bad yet??

·
Registered
748 Posts
Still looking great here!!! I caught two in the last two days, not rubbed at all!!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Here's one from last week. She was released (above freezing).

Here's two from this morning, both look good, especially the one on the right, a big (15 lb.) male with all his guard hairs.

I pulled the line this morning.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Lug, don't you think you should wait to pull until you get a few under your belt?
Congrats to you on an awesome season! How many did you end up with this year? Cutt

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
LOL, thanks Cutt!

I'm leaving for an out-of-state remodeling job Monday...was going to wait to pull until Sunday but by tomorrow everything will be covered with a couple inches of snow.

Figured I'd pull on this morning's check and save myself the trouble of looking for sets in the snow.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx guys! Kinda what i figured....

If my buddies are going i probably will too and set for a few days...maybe longer if im doing real well...i really need to secure a few more farms up there...i could probably do real well by "taking the easy ones" a week or 2 every season...

Really wanna cable atleast one! There is a powerline and brushy field edge on the edge of the field i trap up there i think i should be able to cable...

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gotta think of a way to transport my hay/straw clear to camp! Dont usually use bales...usually sweep up the barn floors....i think the scent of barn cats, mice, birds, etc make it even better....and its all pretty fine stuff that fell off the bales...

Can pack a plastic tote full i reckon...or find a crappy bale or 2 to take..

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I move every 6 months or so for work....i LIVE out of plastic totes......

And, if there is snow on the ground, i can tie a rope to it and throw my buckets inside and start walkin!

Really dont need a ton...not setting a huge line..a big tote packed full will be enough i think...then i will get access to another hot spot or 2 and be catchin fur like crazy and wish i had more....so i will take 2 totes lol...can always leave excess in a garbage bag under camp for next time or for when i need bedding for the dog box when i got my buddy up with me...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok thank you, so is it pretty much worthless or will you get a little for them?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heck rain man, thats just a fine example of a PA frosty rump! Lol looks fairly normal..atleast the fox ive seen typically have a frosty rump here..

Guess the front shoulder area may be rubbed too though upon 2nd glance...hard to tell in that pic...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mauser, almost every single guard hair is gone right behind the shoulder. All you can see is the undercoat. Its easy to see in that picture....there is a 2-3 inch strip of missing guard hair. It was badly rubbed, and the price reflected that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts