The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
they have been dropping down here for a while. at first they were small and green, now they have gotton to normal size but still don't look to appetizing.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Dropping like crazy here in south central.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The acorns look good here but the hickory are awsome,you do NOT want to be under a good shagbark this year because they are loaded. Squirrel hunters take note!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Ditto on the hickories. Oaks look a little better than ok.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I just took my squirrel dog for a walk and there are a lot of large green ones on the ground. They were falling as we walked along.
I would like to get a few of the white oak acorns to plant. We have very few of them around here and if I live to be 120 years old then I should see them produce.
I planted saw tooth oak seedlings in the spring and they seem to be doing good. I have been mixing Epsom Salt with water and feeding them that. They seem to like it.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
ancient injun, when do the Hickories normally star dropping in the Southwest ? I've got a good population of em and like to gather some before said Squirrels do.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Here in crawford county the brown oaks are dropping now, but I know of some white oaks that are so laden that the branches wanna touch the ground. I am hoping they start soon as I have 5 cameras over them. I am sure that they will still be dropping at the end of the month.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
The white oaks were holding on to their acorns in southern Bedford Co today. The red oaks were just starting to drop theirs. The hickories had started to drop their nuts as well.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Red Oaks dropping in some areas, but Whites not quite yet. Most feel solid so far. Need to put some more miles on the boots yet though... been busy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We have an above-average crop here at my place in Venango County. Great to see some acorns on the white oaks (for a change). The deer had great feed this summer due to good rainfall, and should get an additional boost from the acorns as they head into winter.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Alot of thenm on the ground up around camp this past weekend. Looks good in 2F.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts