The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking about making my next smoke pole a smoothbore so I can use shot as well. If I can get 3 inch groups at 50 yards that good enough for any deer hunting I'll be doing with it.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
If I ignore the target holes which measure 5" to 8" inches off center, I can sometimes account for 2 or 3 round balls within 3" at 50 yards.
Seventy-two year old eyes, no rear sight, and caffeine nerves have combined to keep my smooth bore range around 35 yards and under.

If I could have swung the fowler faster and harder last fall, perhaps I could have "hit" the doe flying by me rather than wasting a round ball sent in her direction at 4-5 yards! I will admit that toting a light weight fowler, is a great deal more pleasurable than carrying a long rifle for 8-9 hours!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the areas I hunt a 50 yard shot is probably the longest I will ever take. Even in the regular firearms season I can't recall shooting a deer past 50 yards. If I can hit a deers boiler room at 50 yrds I am happy. A smooth bore will allow me to hunt small game and possibly turkey as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts