556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the Tecomate Monster Mix and the Imperial Clover

Both look like great products.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have had much better luck planting clover in the fall. Weeds don't establish as well. Think about imperial double cross it is a clover barasica mix. The barasica doesnt come back, but the clover does. I planted this last year plot is looking great right now.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.....do you have any pics of the double cross

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here is some pics of my Imperial clover plot.I frost seeded it it Feb 09 so this is the beginning of its 2nd growing season. In the summer of 08 I had pure attraction planted the deer pretty much took care of it over the winter then I planted the clover.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Save your money and go to the local feed store and pick up some ladino clover. The deer won't care. That big buck on the bag adds a lot to the cost of those commercial seed

·
Registered
861 Posts
Of all the things you need to spend money on to start a food plot, or food plot program, seed is the cheapest. No reason whatsoever to take the cheap route on seed. Ladino clover at the feed store is genetically engineered for cows, buy something for deer.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I hate to break this to you, but this stuff isn't engineered for deer. Most "deer seeds" are just varieties that work well for food plots.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
What Dutch said. I've planted regular "cow" ladino and WI clover and the deer don't really care that the WI stuff costs more. But it's your money

·
Registered
820 Posts
Whitetail Imp Clover is way over priced and over Hyped I have planted it one food plot. Tecomate monster mix and Biologic Clover plus in two others. They both did as well if not better than WIC.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I'm tired of spraying my IW clover down here. Instead of planting it in NY I'm changing my thinking. Thinking about planting oats in the fall with red clover mixed in, then in two years using that in my crop rotation of soybeans, corn and brassica.

Bought an 8ft lime drop spreader this year for $450, I can get lime for $52 a ton with the truck holding 13 ton and $1.80 mileage charge round trip. Also picked up another tractor, MF 135 for $4,500, that 25 HP rice burner doesn't do the trick.

For down here I picked up a MF 265 for $6,500 and a three point spreader cost me $600.

I must be pushing 25 grand now for equipment, not counting the two backhoe, one for here and one for NY. Who said food plotting was cheap?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I like the Whitetail institute Alpha Rack and Imperial Clover. The deer have eaten most, if not all of the plot. I counted 20 deer in the plot about a month ago. It is only 1 acre. I plan on planting about two to three more this year. Ok, not the best piture, but this is in my plot.....HMMM

·
Registered
861 Posts
Dutch said:
I hate to break this to you, but this stuff isn't engineered for deer. Most "deer seeds" are just varieties that work well for food plots.
How do you know this? I can see the difference in the plants. Most coop seed is engineered for cattle, to be used in hay production. Because cows are large ruminants they can digest the plants with larger stems that are used in clovers used for hay. Deer do not digest lignin well, so the stem of the plant does them no good, they prefer the lush leaves of the plants. Using seed varieties for deer makes better use of you lime and fertilizer by growing plants with more leaves and less stem.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I will agree to an extent, HOWEVER, deer have been doing just fine on the alfalfa that Farmer Brown has been planting for a generation. They have done well on the ladino clovers, winter wheat, soybeans, etc that the farming community has provided.

There are minute differences in digestibility and deer DO have preferences, so, I will agree, some seeds are better for deer.

The question is this:Is it worth paying three times the normal amount???

I have read enough seed bags from "deer" places to know that they are simply imported into this country by large importers, and resold.

If you go to a site like Welter Seed or Ernst seeds, you'll see what I mean. You can buy the various "deer" seeds for far less than buying them from Biologic.

The nice things about most of these companies is that they offer convenience for the normal, beginner food plotter. That can be HUGE.

I'll give an example of how deer are. Couple years ago, I mixed 1/3 dwarf essex rape, 1/3 purple top turnips and 1/3 Mossy Oak Biologic brassica in a big bag. I spread that mix on my one plot. Those deer HAMMERED the dwarf essex rape before anything. Mind you, they sought it out and picked it out of the plot before the other brassicas.

Now, shouldn't that tell us something about "deer" seeds, deer preferences, etc?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
archer40 said:
Dutch said:
Who said food plotting was cheap?
Is any addiction ever "cheap"? LOL
Isnt that a fact.

Dutch
It's just a good thing you don't charge for all your advice and knowledge I'd be broke. You have helped us out immensely.
Thanks
John
Thanks John. There are some pretty terrific folks on this forum that are all very willing to give back, thats for sure.

One guy on here that I have known for a few years, Bake545, took some of my knowledge and just RAN with it. Cool seeing his pics and seeing how far he has come.

Always nice to see pics you guys post.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts