The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read in the Pennsylvania Outdoor News that the commissioners were looking into extending the Archery season by one week to include the heat of the rut.
I'll agree to it if it includes the black power flint locker's, not that much difference between the two weapon, when you consider the pros and cons of both.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Pickup a bow or crossbow. I notice alot of your posts seems to be somewhat anti-archery.

I can shoot my flintlock pretty accurate at 100 yards, so I'd say there is quite a difference.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i want to use a punt gun! give me a season. i think enough is enough. i want i want, give it a break

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Ya my last rock lock kill was around 75yds...one of my farthest deer kills lol..

I am all for a couple day or week long early buck flintlock season though!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Another week for bow and less deer for gun hunters? Sure, that's great. Maybe it's all part of the state's future plans to rid us all of our terrible guns.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lot of hunters seem to think that a flintlock has it all over a archery equipment, does it really?
I'll admit that as far as range goes it does have some advantage. But remember it's not your center fire rifle, a 50 yard zero still will put you close to 5 inches low at 100 yard.
Which weapon can can launch a second projectile faster? Flintlock will take 30 seconds, on a good day, to get that second shot off. How many arrows can a archer shoot in 30 seconds?
When a archer pulls back that bow string, takes aim, and releases the string is there any doubt in his mind that the arrow is not going to launch? Not so with a flintlock, it may or may not go off, let alone when.
Archer has no problem shooting his bow in the rain, black power and water doesn't seem to nix and still produce results.
So you say the archer needs to practice more to become proficient. Try firing a gun that's going to spit sparks, smoke and noise a couple of inches from you eyes and face, and see how long, and how much practice is need before you stop flinching.
These two means of producing venison for the table have more challenges in common then they do apart then one would think.
As for me taking up archery, archeryman32, I may just go out and buy a cross bow, seeing how I can no longer use my compound. Although I admit I don't know your age, my guess is I was hunting with a bow long before you, unless you started before 1964. No I'm not anti archery, have nothing against the means at all, those that seem to project a sense of elite nest is another matter. Im just a little bit tired of one method of hunting seeming to get all the cream, while the other gets to suck hind udder.

·
Banned
629 Posts
WOW, I thought the flintlock guys didn't want an early buck season for their weapon. Was told that no one has ever posted such an idea for the flintlockers.

·
Banned
629 Posts
Coureur De Bois said:
Lot of hunters seem to think that a flintlock has it all over a archery equipment, does it really?
I'll admit that as far as range goes it does have some advantage. But remember it's not your center fire rifle, a 50 yard zero still will put you close to 5 inches low at 100 yard.
Which weapon can can launch a second projectile faster? Flintlock will take 30 seconds, on a good day, to get that second shot off. How many arrows can a archer shoot in 30 seconds?
When a archer pulls back that bow string, takes aim, and releases the string is there any doubt in his mind that the arrow is not going to launch? Not so with a flintlock, it may or may not go off, let alone when.
Archer has no problem shooting his bow in the rain, black power and water doesn't seem to nix and still produce results.
So you say the archer needs to practice more to become proficient. Try firing a gun that's going to spit sparks, smoke and noise a couple of inches from you eyes and face, and see how long, and how much practice is need before you stop flinching.
These two means of producing venison for the table have more challenges in common then they do apart then one would think.
As for me taking up archery, archeryman32, I may just go out and buy a cross bow, seeing how I can no longer use my compound. Although I admit I don't know your age, my guess is I was hunting with a bow long before you, unless you started before 1964. No I'm not anti archery, have nothing against the means at all, those that seem to project a sense of elite nest is another matter. Im just a little bit tired of one method of hunting seeming to get all the cream, while the other gets to suck hind udder.
You mean kinda like the flintlock gets all the cream while the inline and percussion gets to suck the hind udder? LOL.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PerryTuscarora said:
Coureur De Bois said:
You mean kinda like the flintlock gets all the cream while the inline and percussion gets to suck the hind udder? LOL.
I don't own a inline so can't comment on them, but my guess would be they're one step up from a percussion.
I do own a side lock, and is what I use in the early muzzy season. IMO except for the fact it's a front stuffer, the ignition is by a outside cap placed on a nipple, and short range, it's nothing short of a single shot rifle.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
You guys should quit crying. Everyone has the same opportunity to hunt during any given season, just use the weapon that's already approved for the time you want to hunt and enjoy more time afield.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Wait 10-15 years...it eventually will be deer can be harvested from this day to this day no matter what you use. As we loose a ton of hunters at the top and don't replace them at the bottom...the remaining hunters are going to have a huge job to do. Just my opinion.

We may be able to easliy knock em back now...but in a decade?? We won't have enough days in the fall to keep pace with herd growth, let alone give a weapon a season.

Again just how my mind plays it out.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
i say no to both. Its not broke now, so dont change it. Ive said this before, the flintlockers do have a buck season they can use their weapon in, it starts the first monday after thanksgiving.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
RB-HPA said:
Wait 10-15 years...it eventually will be deer can be harvested from this day to this day no matter what you use. As we loose a ton of hunters at the top and don't replace them at the bottom...the remaining hunters are going to have a huge job to do. Just my opinion.

We may be able to easliy knock em back now...but in a decade?? We won't have enough days in the fall to keep pace with herd growth, let alone give a weapon a season.

Again just how my mind plays it out.
Ya know, I sold a quad to this ugly guy...

And I completely 100% agree with him....

Spot on John....

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I agree RB...as far fetched as it may sound...it may be the future....

I remember when i was 12 in the late 90s and the news channels all talking about opening day of rifle season and over 1 million hunters hitting the timber...

That wasnt long ago...and weve already lost what 1/4 of that???

I dont know that PA will go to a free for all...but this is a large state..i can see more being done to keep hunters taking deer...for most of the state, according to their numbers, most of the state needs the current number of deer taken to stabilize deer numbers to where they are now....loose more hunter, take less deer and the herd starts exploding quickly...

Even in 2B where rifles can be used for does till late January...other than nice Saturdays we rarely see anyone and even then it is hit or miss....

I have NEVER in almost 10 flintlock seasons seen another flintlock hunter besides guys in my crew..and thats lots of public land..even opening days in the big woods...

·
Registered
196 Posts
No way...I would never want flintock extended during archery, especially allowing them to harvest bucks...I could harvest 10-15 mature bucks if only I was able to reach out past 50 yards, and Im sure many others could do the same....I hate the fact I have to wear a orange vest during overlap with muzzleloader/junior rifle, Id be happy having late season as muzzleliader seadon...Then again I never wanted to see crossbows legal for those who are more than able to pull back a string. ...So who knows....My 2 cents

·
Registered
322 Posts
Many opinions here,here's mine.Wouldnt it be different to have a flintlock season in the early fall instead of the late season. If the game commision wants more deer killed,why not inlines and caplocks in the late season. We would only have to change our perspective and it would be a minor change for the commision. It sure would change the ignition issues because of fowl weather. This is just a thought not meant to cause a ruckus. Either way if I have a tag for that season, I'll be out there.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts