The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week while watching TV we heard a noise and discovered the limbs to my buddies crossbow split while leaning up against the wall. He did have it ready for the next morning.

He called and complained that he he took vacation time and what is he suppose to do now being upstate with no bow.

They advised him to call back when he got home and they would sent out new limbs to a bow shop in his area.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Good thing it wasn,t in his hands.I,m shocked at reading about so many failures with X-Bows.Seems like alot of failures with weapons that are new on the scene.Definatley a reason for concern.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
joe8768 said:
Last week while watching TV we heard a noise and discovered the limbs to my buddies crossbow split while leaning up against the wall. He did have it ready for the next morning.

He called and complained that he he took vacation time and what is he suppose to do now being upstate with no bow.

They advised him to call back when he got home and they would sent out new limbs to a bow shop in his area.
Do you mean that by "having it ready" he had it cocked?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
joe8768 said:
Yes, that is correct.
Then I'll bet dollars to doughnuts he left THAT PART out of the conversation? Was this a "normal" practice of his, because if it is, you might want to tell him he very likely ruined his own bow if he did that on a regular basis. Why on earth would you want to leave your xbow cocked for that long a period of time? Juat think of the amount of stress you are subjecting the limbs, strings and trigger mechanism to. The surest way to create a failure in a crossbow, second only to dryfiring it, is to cock it and leave it cocked for long periods of time. He was LUCKY Horton even took care of him. That was 100% user error right there...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest with you he did the afternoon hunt and brought his bow into the house for only a couple of hours when they split.

So that means that you should fire your bolt at the end of your hunt each day. I do see your point.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
In researching for my first X-bow purchase, I found a ton of horror stories about certain Horton models splitting limbs. A quick look on line will reveal more than you can read without getting bored. I chose Excaliber.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Gosh, I feel out of place posting in this thread, everyone else is named Joe

I get apprehensive leaving my xbow cocked on an all day sit and would never leave it cocked in the house. Way too much energy stored in those limbs

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
In researching for my first X-bow purchase, I found a ton of horror stories about certain Horton models splitting limbs. A quick look on line will reveal more than you can read without getting bored. I chose Excaliber.
Great choice. Excaliburs are simple and made to a very high quality. Myself, I trust Excalibur and 10-Point. Quality, reputation and service is key and you will rarely use the latter with either.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
About 90% of the limb issues we had with Hortons (that I remember) was with the eccentric yokes that held the wheels on the limb tips, and the pins that held the wheels onto that yoke. Most I saw were fairly rusted, and they were snapped, telling me that most hunters forget there is a piece of steel there that cannot be wiped down, but should get a small dropp or two of lubricant from time to time and the bow should be thoroughly dried after hunting in the rain...either that or Horton was using poor quality steel in the pins. I had my TRT 175 for 3 years and never had an issue with it, but then I regularly put in in the press and gave her a once over before, during and after the season...something I recommend EVERY hunter should do with their expensive and rediculously powerfull and dangerous xbows. It might cast you a few bucks depending on where you purchased it (I never charged a customer for that kind of thing if they bought it from me), but imo it is worth it if you don't have the tools to do it yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts