The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planted 6-7 horseradish roots early spring last year. Early this year I pulled one root up to see what it was dooing and it was real long and skinny. I ate a bite and my head just about exploded. From what I understand, I should be able to harvest some good roots this fall. Can anybody tell me when to harvest? Will it have bulbs in the fall?

Thanks

·
Registered
322 Posts
I planted some about 3 years ago I also didn't know when to harvest it I heard spring and also fall. guy I used to work with made it and got me hooked on it. He would run it through a food processor and add a little bit of vinegar to it, sure did make a burger cooked on the grill totally different.
I had a heck of a time finding anyone that grew it anymore to get a starter root from.
Mike

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Wish you were closer to me. I had a root given to me a couple of years ago and it has spread. I don't plan on using it and would give it all to anyone.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
mike2 said:
He would run it through a food processor and add a little bit of vinegar to it, sure did make a burger cooked on the grill totally different.
My dad used to grind it up in our garage with a hand grinder. I've seen a whole room of guys clear the door, all with tears running down their faces. Strong stuff.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Guy I worked with would have black eyes for a few days.
all he did with it was give it out as gifts and such.
thank you for the R rule.
Mike

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I had heard the thinner (younger?) roots are the hottest...though have no experience. Pencil sized or less is key to making it hot...thats what old timer told me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I not sure about that, but it would be worth trying, those little pieces are definatley hard to clean, But it would be worth it for hotter horse!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Dead Duck has it correct horseradish "heats up" the longer its allowed to start oxidizing. While every plant is obviously going to have different strength the sooner you start pickling it the milder the flavor. I also believe the chemicals in horseradish that make it "hot" is basic so adding it to vinegar starts to neutralize the pH. Not 100% on the last part but I'm pretty sure i heard that on Food Network

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
InVenangoNow said:
I planted 6-7 horseradish roots early spring last year. Early this year I pulled one root up to see what it was dooing and it was real long and skinny. I ate a bite and my head just about exploded. From what I understand, I should be able to harvest some good roots this fall. Can anybody tell me when to harvest? Will it have bulbs in the fall?

Thanks
IVN if you ever EVER want to take a bite of horseradish root again let me know. People would pay top dollar to watch that.

My dad just pulled his a week ago and MAN is that stuff whicked! I love it!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
This is my first year growing horseradish. If I pick it next month, should I cut a piece of root off and put it back in the ground (will it come up next year) or should I keep a piece in the refridgerator until spring and plant it then?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Oh heck September ends in R. I also have a question I have 3 patches that has been growing for 3-4 years and now I know when to dig it how do I go about preserving it. can I water bath it or what. I was hoping to take some of it and making it up like my buddy did and have it all winter long. to my knowledge he just grinded it up and added just a touch of vinegar but didn't say how he preserved it.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put my horseradish in small jars, put the lid on tight then freeze it, Im still eating some from last year. I was thinking about putting the jars in foodsaver bags this year for extra protection.I also throw my small roots back into my patch,they are really hard to clean, but this stuff comes back year after year bigger and harder to dig.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
glock3540 said:
This is my first year growing horseradish. If I pick it next month, should I cut a piece of root off and put it back in the ground (will it come up next year) or should I keep a piece in the refridgerator until spring and plant it then?
There are ALOT of small roots in the ground, Guess you could call them Finger roots...

It takes alot of digging and removing to Remove All Horseradish..

I NEVER Saw a Horseradish Patch end up Gone when someone dug from it...the Next year those little Finger Roots start up again and created a new Batch...

I have a patch going, Planted it in the spring of 09...I'll be digging it sometime soon..

I started that patch on my Buddy's Farm from a batch I had growing in the back yard Garden...My Father In Law decided to till thru it 1 day before I dug Everything up to Move the patch to the Farm, You should see all the pulling he has had to do all this past summer to get rid of the Horseradish that had srung up All thru the Garden!

You have a Few Choices,..

Let a root in the Ground

Or

Take all the big roots out and let the Finger Roots start a new batch next spring

Or

Take a root, wrap it in a moist paper towel, place it in a zip lock bag and put it in the Bottom of your Fridge and plant it next spring, it will form small green shoots off the root thru the winter while in the Fridge..

OR

You can dig some up then till thru the remaining roots like my Father In Law did and create a HUGE Patch of Horseradish next spring!

All 4 ways will have you a new patch!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts