The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a large horse radish that was dug up about two years ago. I have been digging the small rootlets that break off for two years and giving them away. I now have about 15 of them in pot. They are free to anyone that comes and gets them. They are all growing now. I live in Susquehanna County.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Dang, if you weren't so far away I'd be all over this.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am getting a lot of response. I also posted on Craigs List. I do know once planted it is hard to get rid of it.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I plant mine in 5 gallon buckets.......keeps it nice and contained...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I planted a piece in my back yard the year I moved in. every year i dig up some of the chunks and spread it out on the hill side. stuff grows like a weed. I just wish i could afford more shrimp now cus all i use it for is fresh cocktail sauce

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
jayd4wg said:
I planted a piece in my back yard the year I moved in. every year i dig up some of the chunks and spread it out on the hill side. stuff grows like a weed. I just wish i could afford more shrimp now cus all i use it for is fresh cocktail sauce
Man, you're missing out. Saute up some mushroom and add some sour cream and a little mayo and heat it up. Then add some fresh horseradish and a little brown mustard and you'll have an awesome sauce for meatloaf!

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
I've been thinking about making some mild cheese with horseradish in it. Love the stuff from the store.

Just have to get the Jersey cow to cooperate.

·
Registered
274 Posts
no hearburn for me.. we go thru a jar a week, easily. hotter the better. bear, i wrote your recipe down, gonna do that next time we make a meatloaf.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Nice! Last time I ate fresh HR was when I was a kid and my Pappy made it. (that was over 40 yrs ago)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My Priest Fr.Stephen loves HOT horseradish, the kind that makes the vain on your forehead pop out while eating it. Well, I made some with fresh spring roots, don't peel the root, wash and scrub the root. Put it the blender with white vinegar and do this outside with a wind blowing toward your neighbor. Fr.Stephen said this stuff burnt the back of his eyeballs. And placed an order for another jar. Thanks for the recipe for the meatloaf!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you want it hotter, let it sit for a while after it is ground before you add the vinegar.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
John S, I ground up some roots today, let them sit as you said. I may need to repaint the Buick, that stuff is so hot! Perfect!!! Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I just planted one from a nursery 2 weeks ago that was about 6 inches tall. Will it spread that far just in one year?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the root gets big enough this year then dig it up and cut it up. Use a roto tiller and it will really spread but the rootlets will take awhile to get to grinding size

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
USually, you should wait a year after planting, but if it was bigger root, you can dig it this year.......

The best time to harvest it is when the plant is dormant.....

Like John S said, grind it by itself (a finer grind makes it hotter), and then wait to add vinegar depending how ho you want it.......I like mine HOT, I wait at least a minute before adding vinegar...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts