The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on the Hornady GMX loads
Also for any opinions on the Hornady SST's.....I am looking for a factory load for my 300 Win Mag.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Re: Hornady Superformance GMX ammo

GMX is a monolithic bullet, all the same material, no core. It is made from guilding metal, the same as a bullet jacket. the material is stronger than copper in the Barnes bullets and it doesn't leave the copper mess in your barrel like the Barnes bullet do. Interesting that the French started using all copper (like the Barnes) and abandoned it about 100 years ago.

The GMX and the Barnes are being made as the bullet companies know that it is only a matter of time until the use of lead core bullet will be band for hunting in the USA. So they are getting on the band wagon early.

Lead core bullets with proper jackets are always superior to the monolithic bullet of copper or gilding metal. Just like leada shot is better than steel.

GMX bullets are longer for a given weight than lead jacketed bullets, so they may reduce the power capacity of the case to work in a given magazine and action length. Many people just use a lighter bullet for a given overall length.

proper jacketed Lead core bullets expand much better than copper or GMX bullets.

All that said, while I prefer lead jacketed bullets for hunting, I've used the Hornady GMX and they are fine. Much better than the copper barnes bullets per above. Like the barnes they don't reliably expand like the jacketed lead core, with also means they act like solids (which they are) and give deeper penetration, if the same bullet weight is used.

Better for bear than deer.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Re: Hornady Superformance GMX ammo

Has anyone seen any Hornady Superperformance ammo yet?? Ive had several boxes of the 6.5 Swede on back order for about a month now at Mid South Shooters Supply..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts