The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone used these for their muzzle loaders? We have used Buffalo Ball-ets for years with fantastic results. Now supplies running low and Buffalo Bullet Company gone, these look like the.next best thing!!!

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I didn't know the Buffalo Ballet company (or the company that made these) either went out of business or quit making the Ballet.

I usually shoot the Hornady Conical's but I have a small supply of the BB's and they work just as well as the Hornady's. I shoot the BB's when I run out of the Hornady's.

That's to bad. It was a good product.

SW

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I used to use the conical, but went with the Hornady Great Plains bullet. Never looked back.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Buffalo Bullet company is back in business but you can't buy direct from them. I called them last week and he directed me to Dixie Gun Works. He didn't say what other retailers were retailing their product but Dixie had a good selection on their website.

Hey Dutch; what twist are you shooting those Great Plains bullets with. They work pretty good on deer I take it from your post

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Patch and Roundball only for me. You don't need them fancy bullets.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'll take the fancy bullets as they seem to put a deer down, to stay, better than the roundballs.

I know of 3 deer taken with roundballs, that never bled, in snow.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
It don't matter what I'm shooting out of the old flinter, I can't hit the side of a barn with it.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Dutch said:
I know of 3 deer taken with roundballs, that never bled, in snow.
That's why I switched to the Conical. At least they will have a blood trail to follow. I've put down doe that never had a blood trail as the entrance hole closed up. The deer only went 100 yards at most....just no trail to follow.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I have often wondered how many have been wounded and due to the lack of blood, have not been recovered?

That is why we have gone to the Great Plains bullets.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i too have seen deer hit with round balls and didn't leave a trail. i shoot a long rifle with a 1 in 66 twist. has anyone used anything other than a round ball in a rifle with that twist with any success? i would like to go to a conical. does anyone have any info with a conical in a long rifle?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i've seen them not leave a trail with rb too but that was before we started making our own out of pipe lead. the softer lead opens up more. when its -5 and blood freezes as soon as it hits the air it don't help either.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
dspace52 said:
i too have seen deer hit with round balls and didn't leave a trail. i shoot a long rifle with a 1 in 66 twist. has anyone used anything other than a round ball in a rifle with that twist with any success? i would like to go to a conical. does anyone have any info with a conical in a long rifle?
The Hornady PA Conical and the 245 gr Powerbelt HP have worked FLAWLESSLY for me in my 1:66 twist rifles. Very accurate and even with the rifling for patched round balls they seal well and trully do a number on deer out to a bit further than I would ever take a shot with a lead ball.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I think the PA Conical was designed for the 1:66 twist folks that wanted a conical. Buddy of mine used them years ago with good success in his 1:66

·
Registered
281 Posts
The pa conical is the way to go. They will blow through any deer you shoot at and most of the time knock them off there feet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts