The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had good luck with 348gr PB's over 90gr of powder out of my deerstalker, but was thinking about switching to the great plains bullet.

Anyone out there using them? Accuracy? Terminal performance? Ease of loading? Etc.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
779 Posts
Been using these for several years. Easier loading than PRB.
accuracy is excellent. I switch between these and PRB and the impact point at 50 yards is the same.

Use 85 gr. of powder under the 425/.54.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Along the same line of thought.....I switched several years back to the 50 cal. Hornady Pa. Conical's. The 240 Conical's are easier to load and give a much harder hitting chunk of lead to the deer.

FWIW

Sw

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I use the 385 gr. great plains for my 50 cal renegade. very good accuracy and expansion. Devastating on Deer. Not too bad loading.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
+1.

Glad I went to them. No regrets.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quick question, I'm in my second year of muzzleloading and would love an easier loading "ball." I just looked at the Hornady's, they say they are pre-lubed and don't require a patch. Is that true? Also, what constitutes a longer barrel? I have 2 Traditions, one a flinter and the other a percussion. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked the same question before I ordered mine (just arrived today actually). Yes they are prelubed and they do not require a patch or wad. I haven't loaded/shot any yet so I can't comment on that. As far as barrel length??? Not sure what you mean. Most hawkens I believe have a 28" or so barrel. The more trads get pretty long. Good luck...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks Mark, Hornady's site said they are for longer barrels, and I have no clue what they consider long or short. Please let me know how they load and shoot, I might try and get some for the October season if I have enough time to shoot with them between now and then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts