The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody try them out? I'm thinking of giving them a go and see how they do. Just wondering if any of you guys have tried them and your thoughts about them.

Thanks,

Jason

Hornady FPB 300gr

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check into the Thor bullets. What do you mean specifically by fall apart?

I'm shooting cheap sabotted XTP's right now and I just want to simplify things. Thought of going with a T/C Maxi-something or a Hornady Great Plains bullet, but I don't want to mess with the mess that T/C lube makes on everything and I have no experience with the GP bullets. I'm leery of the powerbelts due to a less than stellar reputation.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was a little confused looking at their site. They either use Barnes bullets or use Barnes' technology to make their bullet. Either way I don't have a problem with that. Thanks. I'll research a bunch about these two bullets and see what I want to try first.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
barnes makes the bullets for Thor under contract. Im testing the version 2 thor out right now. It's a .500" bullet with a small coating of graphite that brings the final DIA to .5045 This allows the shooter to buy one bullet that will fit many bore sizes.

We got this bullet from a deer that we shot at 175 yards with 105gr pyrodex rs and the 250gr thor. Deer dropped in its tracks.

Entrance,

This was the opposite front shoulder on the exit side. Bullet was under the hide.

This bullet broke the spine in half and the upper part of the shoulder blade was busted in half as well.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice pics. I like what I'm seeing so far, thanks.

·
Registered
889 Posts
frontier gander said:
barnes makes the bullets for Thor under contract. Im testing the version 2 thor out right now. It's a .500" bullet with a small coating of graphite that brings the final DIA to .5045 This allows the shooter to buy one bullet that will fit many bore sizes.
Are you saying that the coating is .0045 thick?? That would be a thick coating. I am assuming that the bullet is shedding that coating in order to fit into the bore?? Tom.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
If your going to use them out of an inline they might work fine, but not out of a flintlock!

This one was fromk the buck I shot this year, no expansion, it was stuck in the back leg after entering the chest cavity and going all the way back!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Jason,the powerbelts I have shot are very inaccurate..The best bullets I have found for my Omega 50 caliber was made by Thompson Center a couple years ago called PTX saboted bullets which I heard contracted with Hornady to produce them..I MEAN these bullets were accurate to the point where you moved the scope adjustments and the bullet followed perfectly.It was called deadly accuracy.It is so hard to find muzzleloader bullets out there that can show this good accuracy.I have tried many brands.It is very hard to find these PTX bullets out there now.Thompson Center knew they are very accurate but had trouble finding another manufacturer to produce them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Interesting thread I'll keep my eye on it.Been looking for some other bullets myself only I shoot a flintlock fast twist 1-28 and am still using XTP's but in several deer now they show no expandson at all.was thinking of trying a barnes 45 cal with a sabot.I belive I read somewhere they make a fairly heavy bullet.Any body have any info?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be driving them out of my inline. 1-28" twist. I use 275gr T/C Maxi-Hunters over a wad over 90gr BP in my rock lock and it shoots accurately with great results on deer. I just want something less messy for the inline. I might try Great Plains bullets as they're available all over. I like the idea of the FPB, but performance is the deciding factor. I can't judge the flintlock performance to inline due to the vast differences in velocity, loads, et al so I'll knid of ignore that for now. Not apples to apples so-to-speak.

I won't touch Powerbelts due to such a poor reputation. I've got hunting buddies that have shot two deer with them that weren't recovered and I'm confident they put the bullet where it needed to be. Little blood and nothing else to go on equaled two wasted deer.

·
Registered
21,378 Posts
I'll never buy the excuse that a .50 cal 250-295 gr wad of lead placed in the right spot didn't do the job.

I've killed a couple deer with 250 gr shockwaves out of inline.Both past through the lungs and both deer went 75-100 yards.They didn't appear to expand well at all.I killed one deer with my inline at about 100 yards with a .45cal 250gr xtp in it went about 50 yards.Expansion was evident.On the last day of flintlock season this past year, I shot a doe with a .44cal 240 gr xtp at about 50 yards with my 1-28" twist RMC.She went about 30 yards or so but her heart was mush and the opposite shoulder was trashed where the bullet exited.I'm more that happy with the performance of xtp's at reasonable muzzleloader distances.

·
Registered
21,378 Posts
burk313 said:
Jason,the powerbelts I have shot are very inaccurate..The best bullets I have found for my Omega 50 caliber was made by Thompson Center a couple years ago called PTX saboted bullets which I heard contracted with Hornady to produce them..I MEAN these bullets were accurate to the point where you moved the scope adjustments and the bullet followed perfectly.It was called deadly accuracy.It is so hard to find muzzleloader bullets out there that can show this good accuracy.I have tried many brands.It is very hard to find these PTX bullets out there now.Thompson Center knew they are very accurate but had trouble finding another manufacturer to produce them.
You're most likely referring to the shockwaves.They are accurate out of both the Omega's I've had.I was also suprised at how much less they dropped at 100 yards compared to the Hornady xtp's.Not nuts about the expansion but a .50 cal slug still does enough damage.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
dce said:
I'll never buy the excuse that a .50 cal 250-295 gr wad of lead placed in the right spot didn't do the job.
Yep i too agree. If you dont recover the animal, how exactly do you know the shot was placed correctly?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
frontier gander said:
dce said:
Yep i too agree. If you dont recover the animal, how exactly do you know the shot was placed correctly?

Easy....only having a 'good' part of the deer to shoot at while the rest is hidden behind a tree. Just one example.

·
Registered
21,378 Posts
I've seen loads of perfect shots that turned out alot less than perfect once the deer was recovered.My next door neighbor made a perfect shot on a nice non-typical last year during archery season.The shot was less than 25 yards and he even saw the arrow sticking out "behind the shoulder" as the deer ran away.We tracked the deer the next morning for about 600 yards before the deer bedded down and clotted up.He was dumbfounded because he knew the hit was perfect.Two days later,he along with another one of our buddies saw that same deer chasing does all around with a big hole in the side of it's neck.I can go on and on but a perfect always hit results in a dead deer.Things are not always they way they seem and a hit with a muzzleloader is by far the hardest to judge because you never get a good look at the deer after the shot.I'm on a list of people that get called out to track wounded deer in a controlled hunt so I get to track alot of deer.You wouldn't believe the number of perfectly hit deer that turn out to be not so perfect.You have to consider that these shots are at close range at undisturbed deer where the people actually think they see the arrow impact.No disresoect indended but a deer shot with a lead sug weighing more than 250 grains trhrough the vitals will always result in a dead deer within a very short distance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts