The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a box of Hornady Superformance the other day at Gander Mountain for my 243....

I have a box of the same grain bullets here and sat and looked at the boxes and read them and can still not understand what exactly is the differance between them!

I know when I've looked at the customs and superformance before, the superformance was more then the custom but they had them on sale the other day for the same price as the customs and I figured might as well try them and see how they do!

Is it just the type or Powder or is it the type of powder and how much powder they use??

I'm missing something on the box that tells the 2 apart!!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I've read several places the only way to get the extra speed from them is to shoot them from a really long barrel. Longer than most sporting arms barrels made.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
From my understanding it is a custom blend of powder.
I beleive the ballistics is very similiar to the older line of Light/Heavy mag loadings they used to offer - only this time around it is done at much less pressure.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Andy1 said:
From my understanding it is a custom blend of powder.
I beleive the ballistics is very similiar to the older line of Light/Heavy mag loadings they used to offer - only this time around it is done at much less pressure.
That's my understanding as well. I also recall reading somewhere that the Superperformance and LeverEvolution powders will be available as reloading components too.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it is just different powder?

Anyone know if it is less powder then the customs?

I'm going to run a few thru the rifle tomorrow and see how they do.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Woody, I ried the superperformance out of my .243 savage and tikka two weeks ago and was impressed. I'm not at home right now and will check actuals when I get there, but through my buddies chrono we were getting 10-20 fps faster with both rifles then what was written on the side of the box. My groups open up slightly due to the 80 grain bullet with the savage. My rifle(savage) loves 100 grain federal power shoks or the 95 grain fusions. When I say opened up I mean to right at 1 MOA. My rifle with the 100 grainers is sub MOA for three shots. She opens up on the fourth and fifth shots. I don't mind that though for a standard contour barrel I'll take that anytime. My tikka t3 lite in .243 loves them though. Its the complete opposite with the tikka vs the savage. The tikka loves the 80 grainers in I don't care what type of bullet, but shoots the 100 grainers badly.

Sorry I've never shot the custom, so I have no input or comparison to give you between the two.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just back from checking traps and then sitting down at the farm and running 5 shots of the superformance ammo thru my Rifle...

I see no differance in the point of aim, They are just like the Customs I shoot, BUT I DO SEE a Rather INCREASE in the Recoil!

I took 3 95 grn SST customs along with me, shot them after shooting the 5 superformance....those 3 had a LIGHTER Recoil feel then the 5 95 grn SST superformance!

The Superformance box says there is supposed to be LESS Recoil..I Don't Agree with that!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
more speed with less powder and recoil is a Oxymoron.

Would be like using less gasoline to burn down your house faster.
You don't get one without getting the other.

If you read their published load data - they will tell you that they tested this ammo with this rifle with this length barrel and that your results may vary - hence unless you shot the round in the exact same barrel with the exact same twist rate etc- your results will vary.

Just like looking at the ballistics chart on the back of the box. It is just for comparison purposes - not a exact reproduction of what your rifle will do after sighting it in and hitting the bulls eye a couple of times.

20 - 40 FPS faster then the cheaper factory round is not enough performance to justify the price. 20 - 40 fps faster then published data through your rifle isn't much of a difference either. Could be that your measuring device looks at it a little different then theirs does and maybe yours needs re calibrated.
Most manufacturers will downplay their performance a little - due to the fact that if it did not perform as well as published - you would have people on the forums attacking their ammo - saying that it did not perform as advertised.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I agree with you on the little gain in fps being somewhat insignificant
I bought them to try the GMX bullet. I picked up a box of the superperformance GMX in 7mm-08 this week to try out as well. Was planning on trying today, but the crappy weather has postponed that for now. I've never tried any other bullets in any of my rifles other than soft points or ballistic tips. I want to try the TSX as well.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I think you guys missed the point. he said he was getting 20-40 more fps than what was written on the ammo box, and not what the other rounds were shooting.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hunt/fish365 said:
I think you guys missed the point. he said he was getting 20-40 more fps than what was written on the ammo box, and not what the other rounds were shooting.
I understood what he was saying...

I know I will use this box and go back to the Customs!

I SWEAR they felt like a 30-06 with the Recoil!!

First shot I thought I was imagining things, then the second, third, forth and fifth shots told me I WAS Feeling what I thought with the First Shot!

After messing my back and shoulder up, Low Recoil is BETTER on the back and shoulder...my back right now from 5 shots today of these new rounds is telling me they are a round I do not want to be sitting at the range target shooting with!
I Rarely shoot 3 inch and 3.5 inch magnums anymore out of my 835 due to my back and shoulder....I think Hornady did a snafu on saying there is less recoil!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BrownTrout,
I'm shooting a Savage Also...110 243.

They shoot very good but like I said in the other 2 posts about shooting them today,...

What is said on the Box about Less Recoil is FALSE!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
BrownTrout,
I'm shooting a Savage Also...110 243.

They shoot very good but like I said in the other 2 posts about shooting them today,...

What is said on the Box about Less Recoil is FALSE!
Woody,

I couldn't agree more with recoil thing. I noticed more recoil in both my rifles. I have the same Savage as you. My barrel was alot hotter on three shot shooting strings to. There simply hotter and with that your not going to beat the laws of physics. I'm sure the 7mm-08 is going to work out the same. I'll give you my observation after I try them out this evening at camp.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
BrownTrout said:
I agree with you on the little gain in fps being somewhat insignificant
I bought them to try the GMX bullet. I picked up a box of the superperformance GMX in 7mm-08 this week to try out as well. Was planning on trying today, but the crappy weather has postponed that for now. I've never tried any other bullets in any of my rifles other than soft points or ballistic tips. I want to try the TSX as well.
I handload the GMX in a .30-06 and shot three whitetails with 165gr GMX bullets in North Carolina last month. The GMX is my new "go to" bullet after processing those deer as well as deer shot with the same weight bullet, also from .30-06's, but in the SST and Interlock (what I used to shoot). I also helped process a deer shot with a 165gr Core-Lokt from an '06.

The GMX provided caliber-sized entrance wounds, nickel-sized (or maybe a bit bigger) exits, a complete mess of the vitals, and very quick kills. Only one of the three needed tracking, and that wasn't a terribly difficult tracking job.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I looked at the hodgon website and found that the burn rate is close to h4831. I was excited until my email to hodgon asking for 25-06 data said that the powder "isn't designed for that caliber and there will be no data for it."

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I'm hoping, wishing, and praying that Hornady comes out with the superperformance in 6.5x55 swede GMX.....lol. Yeah right, like that will happen. They could have a big warning not to use in old military surplus rifles....ha ha

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
My feelings on this ammo are that if you need some gimmick to get more performance out of your firearm then you just need a more powerful gun.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Big Elk Hunter said:
more speed with less powder and recoil is a Oxymoron.
I don't know why you would make a blanket statement like this. It's pretty obvious from those who have ran the "new" ammo across a chronograph that it "is" possible to get more speed. As far as the less powder claim, I don't think that Hornady is shoveling fertilizer. And the same with the less recoil statement. You haven't measured the recoil in ft\lbs so how can you make such a blanket statement?

Big Elk Hunter said:
Would be like using less gasoline to burn down your house faster.
You don't get one without getting the other.
I don't think the new powder is like the old gasoline.

Big Elk Hunter said:
If you read their published load data - they will tell you that they tested this ammo with this rifle with this length barrel and that your results may vary - hence unless you shot the round in the exact same barrel with the exact same twist rate etc- your results will vary.
And when has that ever changed? You have to compare apples to apples. Shoot your "old" round and then shoot a Superformance round from your gun. Chrony both and see the difference. Then make your claim.

Big Elk Hunter said:
Just like looking at the ballistics chart on the back of the box. It is just for comparison purposes - not a exact reproduction of what your rifle will do after sighting it in and hitting the bulls eye a couple of times.
See above response.

Big Elk Hunter said:
20 - 40 FPS faster then the cheaper factory round is not enough performance to justify the price. 20 - 40 fps faster then published data through your rifle isn't much of a difference either. Could be that your measuring device looks at it a little different then theirs does and maybe yours needs re calibrated.
Again, you either misunderstand the information, or want to misrepresent it. The statement made from the poster said his results were 20 to 40fps faster than WHAT WAS PUBLISHED ON THE SUPERFORMANCE BOX!! Not faster than what his "old" ammo was.

Change is hard to accept. I remember when Smith & Wesson came out with the 460VR and the gain twist barrel. You had a lot of nay-sayers making statements that the handgun was going to blow up a lot and cause a lot of injuries and deaths because of the gain-twist barrel and the power of the load.

Well, so far there are no mass-graves from that.

SW

1 - 20 of 23 Posts