The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any feedback on this ammo? Looking at starting an 8yo mentored youth for deer. Curious about recoil.

Thx

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
If you have the right stock to fit the 243 in 100 gr rem he should be able to handle it. I think its not the load but right fit on the stock.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I bought them for my 7 yo last fall. Had no problems. When he was not looking I put in a 95 grain silver Winchester that I shoot. He didn't notice at all the difference. So I just kept him shooting my bullets. He got a buck on the last day and it fell over dead with a 50 yard heart shot.

I'd say with the .243 just use whatever your normal load is.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
indianahunter said:
I bought them for my 7 yo last fall. Had no problems. When he was not looking I put in a 95 grain silver Winchester that I shoot. He didn't notice at all the difference. So I just kept him shooting my bullets. He got a buck on the last day and it fell over dead with a 50 yard heart shot.

I'd say with the .243 just use whatever your normal load is.
I think this is good advice. The light recoil ammo is good for practice so kids don't have a chance to develop a fear or flinch. Then when it's hunting time just put a regular shell in and don't say anything. Of course it goes without saying you'd have to shoot both types of shell to see where they hit.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You can easily download the .243 and cleanly kill whitetails. The .243 is not marginal for deer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts