The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I were fishing this morning when we had something weird happen. We started at first light, and decided to keep our fish if we caught any decent sized ones. I seemed to have the magic touch and creeled 5 of the nicest sized fish I've seen all season in an hour or so. I could have continued fishing and releasing, but decided to just sit back and watch my son, who hadn't caught a single fish. He waded over to where I was fishing, and said "Did you see that guy over there acrossed the creek?". Well, no, I hadn't seen another person. I told him it must have been another fisherman circling around us, but didn't see anyone moving. He said "That guys is hiding over there watching us". Meanwhile he tied a Niti-1 on and started to catch fish. I started watching, and pretty soon saw the guy peeking around a tree watching us with binos. He was wearing mostly camo, but wasn't very subtle in his movements, and his face stood out like a beacon. He ducked back behind the tree, but eased back into view a few minutes later and looked thru the binos again. My son caught a few more fish, and we packed up for the walk back out to the truck. The guy watched us leave, so I waved just to let him know we knew he was there. Hoping it was just a waterways patrolman or deputy making sure we didn't exceed the limit, and I'm cool with that. If it was, and he sees this, use a face mask next time, and keep another 10-15yds back from the creek. Thanks to our fellow "sportsmen" we were able to fill up a plastic grocery bag with beer cans, water bottles, and other assorted stuff on the way out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not sure what section you were on quack. But in my 4 trips this year to the dhalo section of chest creek i have seen a fish commission officer every time. End of last year I didnt see any. Every time I see him he is wearing basic green uniform but has nocs with him. I forget his real name but everyone out there calls him alby. I guess he actually grew up with my father and is a very nice guy, Seems to really try and take care of chest creek.

If you ever hit that section you will be sickened by the amount of trash thats along the road that follows the creek. Its a back road with limited houses and im pretty sure people like to use it as there personal dump.

Glad to hear you guys did good, and your son got into them too.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trout 2003 said:
That's actually pretty funny haha. Creeper!!!
Yeah, it was funny and creepy all at the same time. I was actually hoping he might walk over after I waved at him to make sure, but maybe he was mad his cover was blown!

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I've seen them watching me before. Usually wear some type of camo or such and sunglasses. I'm kinda glad to know they're out patroling. I think I may have walked over to find out who it was. If it wasn't the law, it would have freaked me.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
buckmasters243 said:
Where was this?I have seen a few "undercover" fish officers.
Cambria county on Chest Creek.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kudu58 said:
I'm kinda glad to know they're out patroling. I think I may have walked over to find out who it was. If it wasn't the law, it would have freaked me.
I would have, but my knees were already killing me and I would have had to cross the stream. I'm happy to know they are doing their job also, but there's still that tiny doubt in my mind that it was some weirdo.

·
Registered
387 Posts
option 1. fish commission.

option 2. your wife if married really wanted to make sure you were fishing lol.

option 3. Some guy was really hard into finding out the best bait or lures for the stream lol

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Yep, it was almost surely the WCO. I don't think they've starting using drones yet. :-o

Regarding the trash, you might see if you can organize an annual cleanup with the local sportsmans club.

On our local stream, we do the annual cleanup on the Saturday after opening day. We just hit it from about 8:30 am to about 11:30 am. Then have a picnic at a park, with grilled hamburgers and hot dogs etc.

The stream is far cleaner looking than it was "back in the day." People keep littering, but if you hit it once a year it removes the backlog, and it really makes a difference.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good idea. The stream and trail leading to it are actually pretty clean now; it's the parking area that needs the work. Idiots have dumped mattresses, deer carcasses, bigger items like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts