The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im taking my extra directv box and I bought a dish off of ebay. Need a little info on how to hook it up and tune the dish to the right angle. I have directv at home, but was told I could do this, like people do when tailgating.
Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
good luck. i went to lowes and bought 500 feet of coaz and splitters, and connectors, and satellite finders, the whole shootin match. still.... no direct tv. i gave up.. i think too many trees to get signal. just making comment tho, i ran into a similar post and there ARE PEOPLE THAT CAN HELP, IM SURE YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO IT, BUT FOR ME, LIFES TO SHORT, I GAVE UP

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did the same thing. I have DirecTv at home (HD receivers) but took a regular 18" round DirecTv dish to my camp. Make sure under the receiver settings you have the right dish selected. If it's the same as the dish at home check the setting on those receivers under setup. Then use this site http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp to get the elevation and azimuth to point your dish. You can use a compass for azimuth or even the compass on a smartphone will work. After everythings connected go under setup in receiver menu. You will find a screen that gives satellite signal strength. If possible, turn the volume up enough that you can hear the signal indicators change when you pick up a satellite or have another person help by watching the strength indicators while you make minor adjustments. You don't have to mount the dish on a roof - you can even just use a portable tripod, but make sure you don't have a huge tree or other obstruction in the path of the dish. I know this sounds like a lot but this is the easiest way I know to explain the process. Google helped a lot too!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Here is how we did it at our camp (more than once when the dish was stolen). There has got to be other camps around you with a dish that can give you the general direction that it needs to be pointed. As tlh stated you can use the compass and all that but we just checked out the direction others had it pointed and started there.

Mounted it on a 4x4 in the ground by camp. At that point get a little box tv and set it next to the dish so you can see the signal strength, hear it beeping, etc. Hook it up to the dish and then slowly begin adjusting the dish until it starts going crazy with signal on the tv. Once you find the money spot, tighten the screws on the dish. Has worked every time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The general direction to point the dish is SSW. Do a google search a lot of good sites that have great directions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just did this in July. First thing is get the settings on the direction (degrees, tilt, azmith) on the google. One of the sites uses google earth so just move the cursor to where your camp is located. The cooresponding hash marks are on the dish.

What makes it hard is making sure the pole you have the dish mounted to is perfectly plumb and level. That's where we went wrong so the hashes on the dish didn't match up.

If you can get a tv hooked up outside next to the dish and go to the signal strength screen on the direct tv box you're set. we did that and could see the bar and signal strength every time we tweaked the dish and it made it pretty easy.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Direct TV has a camp package. My dad uses it for his camper. Call and turn it on whenever you are camping and it's cheap. Came with its own portable dish and an extra box. Might work better than an ebay satalite and extra receiver but who knows. I know that getting it level and lined up pointing in the right direction is the hard part.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have DirectTV at camp and they did it all. I did it last spring and they did the entire installation for no charge. It now costs me $6 a month and it's on all the time. It shows up on my bill as another bedroom. I understand they charge $50 for the installation now but that includes the dish and the everything. Call em and tell em what you need done. it's that easy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
now bwhunter now i mite look into this a little more now, i called them and they told me a vacation home i have to start another account. do u have to know "somebody" or tell me what im missing

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
No, I didn't know anyone inside. I simply called and asked. The only clout i had was that I was not a customer at the time and was willing to move my home service to be able to get a decent deal for camp. Truthfully, the service was better at home with comcast (but more expensive) but the cable company that runs through my place at camp started their rates at around 60 bucks a month and there was no way I could justify that at camp. When I called, I was thinking that I'd have to buy the second dish and maybe a box. The rep on the phone atarted by saying "i don't know" I spent some time on hold while he researched the best way to handle what I needed and I couldn't ask for a better outcome.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Swamp Rabbit,You sure can use your extra box! I paid 100 bucks for them to install my dish at camp.Best thing i ever did. For trees in the way,As long you have 40' between the dish and trees,should be no problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Swamp Rabbit, I had an extra dish from a previous DTV install so I took it to my camp and mounted it. I just take one of the boxes from home with me when I go up to the cabin. Dish install isn't that tough. All you need is a cheap compass or GPS with a compass, coaxial, connectors, and a clear sight line. You can get all the instructions form dtv.com

·
Registered
231 Posts
Swamp,

I have DIRECTV at my house and when I bought my camp I called to have it installed there. They installed the dish and the box for free and I only pay the $5.99/month for the box. I get the same service I have at home (over 200 channels). It was a good deal and keeps the wife happy while the boys and I are out fishing or hunting and during winter when we are just hanging out. You may have to haggle them a bit, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
x2 to what 5forks and btbowhunter said. I used an ebay dish and hauled a box from home for 2 years. It worked fine but tuning the dish was a pain. When I switched to HD at home the I couldnt tune the dish at camp. I called and talked to customer service and explained that I had a vacation home I wanted service at. yada yada.. They gave me a MOVERS package and set me up completely. New box, remote, dish and cable. Did the whole set up for free. I get charged for another box monthly, I think it's 5-6 bucks.

Should have done it 2 years ago..Give them a call.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts