The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Are you talking wrist strap release or t-handle release. I shoot a t-handle thumb release that has a locking jaw mechanism. I clip it on and let it hang. I like this style much better than wrist strap releases.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wrist strap. I'm in between w the t handle I love my results with them but I just don't always feel as comfortable so I heard some of the wrist strap ones w the hook style are very close to the accuracy as the t handles.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Blb - I shoot a hinge release, a dual caliper trigger and a single hook trigger. I liked the single hook until my bow, that was tuned with the dual caliper and hinge started shooting with a tail left kick. I realized, after much frustration, that the single hook trigger would not open past parallel with the string path and the string had to move left, towards my cheek, in order to leave the release.

Will this affect hunting, probably not, but I didn't like it. I still have it as a backup for my bag, but I don't intend to use it full time

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks. I've been thinking about the spot Hogg wise guy I read a ton of reviews but I like to hear some other opinions never shot this style before and just want to get a better idea of different options.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alankrow Thanks I will look into that. Let me ask you have you ever had the hook come off your loop or anything like that?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
If your looking for a wrist strap its hard to beat a TruBall Short and Sweet with the swept back trigger.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any concerns w these style releases w slipping off the string when drawing back or holding or anything like that?

·
Registered
288 Posts
FYI Blb - Hooks need to be used with String loops. you cannot use them directly on the served bow string

·
Banned
851 Posts
I've used the dual caliper with my old bow but with my new bow use the hook style. Tru-Ball short and sweet with the swept back trigger. Love it! No worries about slippage.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
TruFire Hardcore. Great hook style release IMHO and it wont break the bank. I have a 4 finger and a wrist style, and my 10 year old daughter also shoots a wrist style. I had been shooting a Scott Little Bitty Goose and my accuracy improved with the Hardcore.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I prefer sensitive, like a fine rifle trigger. I use a Scott Silverhorn hook. Can be adjusted from wicked sensitive to oop's, I didn't mean to shoot... I use the release on both my bows, Hunting and 3-D.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Blb8698 said:
How sensitive do you guys prefer the triggers?
I prefer my release as heavy as I can set it, without any travel befor it breaks.
For a lot of people a light trigger will lead to punching the trigger & then target panic.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not that's it been brought up yet, but I shot the Scott Silverhorn for the last 2 years and honestly, my shooting improved, but it always seemed too short for me. I'm changing this year to the Chicken Wing, I really liked how it felt and it just seemed to fit me.

I have had issues with caliper releases, too many times I've had the string hang up just a bit. That may be user error and from me torquing the release, but I have yet to have that issue with a hook style.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I wish I had the confidence to use my Scott Longhorn Hunter while hunting because I shoot my best with it. Loading it on the string loop, using the clicker, and noise from the hinge when loading is enough to keep me from hunting with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts