The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harvested the honey from my two hives today. I don't have time to render it until Tuesday but should end up with around 100 lbs. If anyone is interested, here's what the inside of a hive looks like. I alreay removed the top two supers and six frames from this one. This is the first super above the brood box. Notice the metal grate (queen excluder) that keeps the queen from entering the upper boxes so she does not lay eggs there.

Here is one of the frames filled with honey and capped

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Interesting. I have never seen the inside of a hive before. Did you get a big harvest this year? We just bought honey from a local beekeeper and he said his yield was light compared to last year.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Springer Rage said:
Cool. Is it expensive to get started making honey?

I had to do it!!

Isn't Expensive at all, the Bees do all the work in making it, you just sit back and relax and wait for them to gather everything up and produce it into honey!

Now, getting the Bee Hives, Bees and Equipment isn't Cheap!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was an average harvest. I doubt it, but I may be able to get a little more before the weather gets too cold. I've had years when I was able to harvest in early/mid August and again in the fall.

Once you have the boxes and equipment, it's not costly at all. The biggest expense is start up

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You're not kidding! I made mine completely enclosed in electric fence, with a solar fencer. That thing really snaps ya if you touch it!! It works, since I haven't had one bear or any other animal in my hives all summer....and I'm right in the middle of bear country!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts