The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the longest time I have been seeing very few honey bees and I have read several articles about the shortage and various ideas on possible causes. However, I have noticed that this year in my back yard that there are hundreds of the little critters all over the white clover heads. I have purposefully stopped mowing the yard where the clover grows so that they have a good source, and so that I can watch them from the patio. I am unaware of anyone in the neighborhood who raises honey bees. Has anyone else notice an increase in honey bee numbers?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
We have been seeing more bees but then I think there are a few hives over the hill from us.They are all over the clover here too.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just got done mowing my lawn an hour ago,and I also noticed a lot of them on the clover flowers. As much as I hate bees,we can't live without them. I hope they are making a comeback!

Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,180 Posts
I've kept bees for a long time, over 40 years. There's a lot of new people trying to keep bees today. A lot of new hives. Most won't stick with it however. Bees, if necessary, will forage out 3 miles from a hive. ( although most of their flights will be under a mile). I watched a honeybee land on a charter boat in Lake Erie that was 4-5 miles off shore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts