The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a side x side. With the wife and kids kinda want a 4 seater without the extra length. Just wanted some opinions on Honda sxs and the 1000-5. Also I think it is 63" wide are there places to ride these? I think the sf trils in potter are 58".

·
Registered
835 Posts
don't know much about the Honda sxs but teryx makes a 4 seater that isn't that much longer than a 2 seater sxs and they have held up well over the years in production. most places to ride have lifted the maximum width but I am not sure about the Marienville trail I believe you are referring to.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The smallest gates I've found are the A Loop on Timberline in the ANF trails and the last gate leading down to Lyman Run State park in the Susquehannock State Forest at 58 and 60 inches . Most gates are 62-65 inches wide .

I'll second the 4 seater Teryx . Not just because I own a 2 seater , but the wheel base is almost identical on both and I've personally witnessed the agility of the 4 seater going over or up terrain that'll make your sphinkter pucker ....

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
No personal experience with the Hondas. They do have some negative feedback about a lack of power.
I would advise checking some UTV/ATV forums to see more feedback from owners.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Ill have to check out the teryx. The only reason I was leaning towards the Honda is the bed size with seats down.

What do you do if you can't make a gate? Never been on any of those trails are they one way?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I sqeeked my tires through at Lyman Run . Timberline in ANF was a loop that you could go clockwise or counter clockwise . When I came apon the tight gate , I just did the loop in the other direction . I've been riding private property the last 4 years ( more challenging ) . But since it was sold last year , I'll have to get registered again with the DCNR and hit some more State Parks . If you want information on ALL of the ride areas in Pa. , check out RiderPlanet site . Lots of good information on Pa. and the entire USA .

Some trails are one way , others are 2 way traffic . You should see signs designating the traffic patterns.

·
Registered
401 Posts
They new Honda 1000 is more than enough power with some to spare. They are an amazing machine. Nothing like the Honda of old. I think Honda had stepped up their hp to 77 in this new sxs. They are VERY quiet. Turf mode. Diff lock up front. Powder steering. Half doors. If I hadn't just bought a Yamaha wolverine r spec, I would have more than likely gotten one. I would deffinantly check them out. Honda has a reputation for dependability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts