The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been tossing around the idea of purchasing a new quad. Looking at these two. Not for hard trail riding, just hunting and plowing the driveway. Don't need/want power steering. I like Honda reliability, not sure about Polaris. My dad has a Honda Foreman that is a 98 and still running well.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have owned both brands, and from my expierience honda is the winner. Just the "feel" of the honda while rideing it was much better, everything felt tighter, and more solid.

Honda is a very durable machine, the polaris have came a long ways over the years, i have a few buddies that owned polaris, some were very good machines, but some werent, it seems kinda hit or miss with them.

But, with that being said, all companies have a few lemons and im sure honda is no different. It just seems ive seen alot of different problems wih polaris over the years that i haven seen with most other brands.

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
I'd buy the honda over a polaris but I wouldn't get the es.The ES has been the weak link with hondas.Most models still have a foot shifter available and that's what I'd get.

·
Banned
444 Posts
I own and use a Honda ES daily for work. #1. You can not beat the Honda for being dependable and solid. #2. Ran the same Honda Foreman from 1984 to 2012. Never touched the motor or drive train. Finally died when I could not get an electric part anymore. #3.The ES had me concerned when I bought the new one.What would you do if the ES crapped out, a mile or two off the road? There is a manual foot-shift lever in the tool box that when installed(1/2 second) will shift manually till you get to the repair shop. If you are going to plow, buy a size engine that will do the job easily, not just barely...

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
I have a Honda 500 ES. I bought new in Nov. 2012. It has run perfectly for nearly 2 yrs but I still only have about 250 miles on it.

I mostly use if for hauling fire wood with a cart and plowing snow. For what I use it for it's perfect.

Rock Run ATV Area...

Clearing some trails...

Plowing at home...

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have owned both honda and polaris and a few other brands. Polaris is by far the better machine. It may be that many years ago polaris had some issues but that is not the case today. I ride a lot and polaris far out number the Hondas on the trails. Honda does not ride as well, have the cvt tranny or features. The bottom line is drive them both and decide. Everyone on here has their opinion but a test drive will prove my point. I have 3 polaris now and 1 yamaha. I ride A LOT and the polaris have been flawless.

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
I would agree that Polaris has a better ride and a more comfortable seat.

I guess it depends on the intended purpose of the machine. I do very little trail riding these days.

·
Registered
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really don't plan on doing much trail riding. I'm having a tough time deciding. Been doing alot of reading on the net.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you are concerned about the quality of a polaris, which I think is unwarranted you may want to look at the yamaha and suzuki line. Great atv's with great quality just not as good of a ride but cvt tranny.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Not to hijack this post, is the Honda better than the Polaris for utility work, such as doing food plot (dragging a harrow, atv disc, etc) and carrying capacity.

·
Registered
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after doing a TON of reading/research on the net I've decided to go with the Foreman over the Polaris 570. It seems like with Polaris you either get a good one or one that is in the shop all the time. I talked to a couple guys at work that owned Sportsman's and each one had issues of some sort at one point or another.
Not looking for a hard trail riding machine or deep mudder so I think the Honda will meet my needs.
Now I just have to come up with some cash.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
My brother just picked up a Foreman 500 ES last night. Out the door, $7400.

·
Registered
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adam said:
My brother just picked up a Foreman 500 ES last night. Out the door, $7400.
2014 or 2015
I got a price on a 14 for $7395 out the door, same as your brother.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts