The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make their own dog food from venison? Got any recipes? Is there a way to make a dry venison dog food at home? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I make it like a stew type. Cut all pieces into small cubes, put in pot with water, chicken broth,beef broth,veg oil. Let boil, add rice. When done I put into small containers , each container is enough for 3/4 of foid, that I mix in with dry kibble. It saves me about 3 bags of dry kibble a year. Plus I think the dogs really like it. I also do this with goose meat

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Feed your normal kibble with some venison added to the food.

It's hard to make a balanced feed that has everything a dog needs for development and life.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Trapper,
I do the same as Angus, I do cook it slightly and mix it with their normal feed, my dogs live an exceedingly long time, hunting most of their lives, I have a 16 year old SM
and a 11 year old Gordon, in my Grouse dog kennel, both are mostly retired but I shoot a Grouse over them every season on my own property.
If you feed, house & treat your dogs correctly they can live a long long time.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I agree that anything that you can make to feed your dogs is 100% better than some of the dog foods we buy. I just lost my mountain cur to cancer. I did have one vet that asked what I was feeding. I told her that I fed the dog Purina for her entire life. When she started throwing up this winter I changed her dog food to Pedigree. This vet said they are the two dog foods that cause cancer in dogs. I used to know an old coon hunter that fed nothing but scrap meat and fat that he got from a grocery store. He also fed road killed deer. His dogs were always in great looking condition and they lived long, active lives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts