The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The season will be here before we know it....what are some tricks to increase space/yield you have used? i got minimal space tried lots of stuff but wanna maximaize my space, and yeilds. thinking of trying some buckets this year to grow in spaces not in the garden. ive read you can train some squashes to grow up a trellis. i got a chain like fence on the perimeter of yard to maybe grow beans or peas and maybe hang something for onions. i got tons of buckets from work and a compost bin full of chix poop mixed in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I hope it gets here soon...3 inches of snow here yesterday. I plant all my vegetables in raised beds. Some make wooden frames, I just heel up flat mounds. I do intensive planting then....meaning I space the veggies in the bed whatever the recommended space between plants is. For example my scallions are in a bed 3 inches apart in all dirctions.

I plant my tomatoes in 5ft tall cages made out of concrete reinforcing wire made into a tube about 18 inches around. I plant cucumbers in a similar tube thats about 3ft around.

I plant pole limas and pole string beans on horse fence panels....which is basically a fence section staked down. Any fence would do but you need to be able to pick from both sides. Pole beans produce the entire season and you don't have to re-plant like the bush versions.

Not sure if this is the kind of stuff your looking for....I like to get as much as I can in a small space because it just cuts down on weeds, cultivating and area to water. I plant corn the old way in long and wide patches and thats enough work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I started square foot gardening a few years ago. I use a lot of cattle panels attached to 3/4" emt conduit for fencing and have great success growing tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, etc on them. I have also bent the cattle panels into a hope shape that you could walk thru. Great for cucmbers...They just hang down for the picking. I can produce more in about half the space as I did before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts