The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got done making some cover scent i used acorns, sticks, bark, wheat grass and sum other leaves n stuf boiled it for half hour and im gettin redy to strain it now my house smells like woods all over this stuff is great hopefully itl fool these causious whitetails here in pa it tha bomb

·
Registered
216 Posts
did you use any peroxide or something similar to stop bacteria growth down the line.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
eh...that sounds like alot of work. I like to strike up a nice bonfire the night before hunting, and sit around it wearing my hunting clothes. Smoke them up real good and then stuff them in a plastic bag overnight.

This has been discussed before and deer do not seem to spook at the smell of smoke at all. they are used to it

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
jayd4wg said:
eh...that sounds like alot of work. I like to strike up a nice bonfire the night before hunting, and sit around it wearing my hunting clothes. Smoke them up real good and then stuff them in a plastic bag overnight.

This has been discussed before and deer do not seem to spook at the smell of smoke at all. they are used to it
I think I'm going to give that a shot this year.......

·
Registered
216 Posts
whats up with the smoke thing. wouldnt deer or any other animal notice a fire smell? How are the deer used to a fire smell?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
sacberries said:
whats up with the smoke thing. wouldnt deer or any other animal notice a fire smell? How are the deer used to a fire smell?
Covering your clothes with the scent of smoke is just something that is found in nature. Think of it this way, take a walk outside on a cold day and notice the smell that is in the air, its the smoke from wood burners, coal stoves, furnances, the smell that the deer are also smelling. Its not the idea to be "Scentless" that people are looking for, its the idea to smell like the smells deer are used to.......

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
You guys can smoke your clothes up all you want cuz i know ill be scent free when im out there. Used to it they may be in some places, but i dont want any scent coming from my direction. I would think that most deer would associate the smell of smoke with human presence and would want to stay clear, ex. houses, campers, ect.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Smoke is a very common smell in the country. I smoke my clothes when I hunt in 3C and 3B, and I play the wind with NO SCENT LOC in 5C.

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
Buck Whisperer said:
You guys can smoke your clothes up all you want cuz i know ill be scent free when im out there. Used to it they may be in some places, but i dont want any scent coming from my direction. I would think that most deer would associate the smell of smoke with human presence and would want to stay clear, ex. houses, campers, ect.
I've been smoking my cloths for the past two seasons and the results have been excellent.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You can hang your clothes in a barn if you don't mind they smell. The deer definitely don't!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
hey doug how ya been? smoke deff helps, if you hunt on the ground smoke and ashes are your friend. I recall reading about natives rubbing ashes on thier skin and smoking thier clothes to get close to thier prey, also they say walking through the ashes sort of sterilizes your boots against unwanted odors, what could it possibly hurt?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
A few years back the opener for rifle was fridgid cold. I headed out with the neighbors to his inlaws farm for the first morning. I had been there through archery a few times but never got a shot. I am posted watching a gas road about 200 yrds from the nieghbor and his kid. I hear cracking and snapping at day light. After an hour I start to see smoke in the distance. I realize he had started a fire to keep warm. I walked down to them realizing my hunt was pretty much over. I ask what the heck he was thinking. He said "oh my pap used to hunt over fires all day when I was a kid" Im convinced he's a crack head at this point. But hey the fire was warmer than my stand so I hung out. An hour later...buck walks by and his kid shoots it....I was amazed. The next year I brought my own hot dogs....

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
I've used smoke for 3 years now with great success. Actually, I tried it thinking to prove it wouldn't work. However, after a few hunts and purposely hunting with the wind in the deers favor a few times and not getting busted, I became a believer.

I've still not been winded that I know of. Meaning, a deer could have winded me or moved away from my location that I was not aware of, but no deer I saw winded me.

I had a deer I could have spit on during the turkey season never show any signs of my presence.

I'm not suggesting anyone else try it based on that, as their are plenty of other methods deer hunters use, but Scent Lok and the like is not all it's cracked up to be if you ask me. Their are lots of factors that come into play with that stuff in order for it to work as advertised. Just my opinion of course, as lots of hunters swear by it and that's great, as long as they feel it works for them, who am I to say it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have a scent smoker for sale if anybody wants it... I experimented with smoke and found that I see way more deer trying to be as scent free as possible while playing the wind. It may work for you guys way out in the sticks, but these urban deer aren't hip to the smoke scent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts