The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who made the call that the instructions are commonly found online? Can I hook that RadioShack amp up to a 25 watt power horn rated for 8 ohms, or must I buy a better power horn? Circuts was the only class I had to re take in college, so please excuse my lack of knowledge in this field.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
burghwolfe said:
I used whatever was used on the VarmintAl's website and it works great.
Yea, I was gonna follow that, but I can't find that power horn, but I found a different one that is rated for less. I just wanted to see if there is a difference with a 25 watt power horn vs 50 watt power horn when using that mini amp.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The 25 watt wont be as robust(loud) as the 50 watt. In the northeast, it probably wont really make a difference on a calm night. Windy night, on the other hand, you may want that additional 25 watts.

·
Registered
927 Posts
It will work fine, you need the to cut a mono cable off to about 8 in with the plug, the speaker shout have a ground and positive wires just twist them and tape them. im about to start using mine agian, called in alot more coyotes than I have with the foxpro I got this year.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scottm2012 said:
The 25 watt wont be as robust(loud) as the 50 watt. In the northeast, it probably wont really make a difference on a calm night. Windy night, on the other hand, you may want that additional 25 watts.
Considering the horn is driven by a 9 volt battery and the mini amp is mini, you don't think the performance is limited by the amp, and not the horn?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swpa87 said:
It will work fine, you need the to cut a mono cable off to about 8 in with the plug, the speaker shout have a ground and positive wires just twist them and tape them. im about to start using mine agian, called in alot more coyotes than I have with the foxpro I got this year.
The cable with two male ends...which did you buy? The stereo cable, or the one listed on Varmit Al's and predator masters?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Those speakers only get so loud before they distort, so even if the 50 gets louder its not going to sound good, your 25w is fine.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You need a long double ended cable to run to your mp3, bit you also need a short cable to connect the amp the the speaker, the speakers usually have just two bare wires out of the back, take a head phone cable and cut it to about 8 in, plug the jack into the amp and twist the wires to the speaker wires.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
swpa87 said:
Those speakers only get so loud before they distort, so even if the 50 gets louder its not going to sound good, your 25w is fine.
What about a 15 watt? They distort at the same volume as the 25w?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I dont know, I think its the speaker and not tye watts, the 50w means it can handle 50w, its only going to run at the watts the amp is pushing... how many watts is the amp?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thats the same one im using, it will work fine with any pa speaker, and the battry will last like 2 years so your good

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I went to the dollar store and bought a pair of headphones for a dollar and cut those up and used that. Cheap and it works. If you need pictures let me know. I can take a couple. I used a Galls police PA siren/speaker I had laying around.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I used 3 male end plugs, 75ft of mono stereo cable, the mini amp and the power horn. Solder a male end onto the powerhorn wire, solder a male end onto both ends of the mono cable. Plug it all into its respective holes and bam. Mine works great, super loud. Just painted the horn up a bit. Don't try skipping the soldering part...if you're doing multiple sets of winding the cable back up your wire is going to take a beating. Save yourself teh time in the future of having to take it all apart. I downloaded all the sounds from predatoruniversity.com.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
my homemade one with a cheap horn I got from a harbor freight la kooka Rocha horn sounds better and louder than my FoxPro spitfire. any horn you find will work with that amp.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I don't think it would matter, the only difference is that you'd have to solder the horn wires to speaker wire instead of soldering it to the male end. Same concept, should work fine. It's actually better that way so you can control the amplifier volume as well. My set up leaves the amp out next to the horn.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts