The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided that I was going to get into bullet casting and it seems alot of those guys try and recoup as much of their lead as possible. After looking at different options I decided to build one that utilized rubber mulch. Cost and amount of lead that was recoverable was the main factor in the decision.

I had a bunch of 2x2's laying around my shop along with some cheap plywood so I made some measurements and started cutting. The front is 19"H x 16"W and 30"L

I then added the sides and painted it with some extra paint I had laying around.

The extra support piece is where I tacked 2 pieces of scrap carpet up to hold the mulch in. I'm not sure how self healing the carpet will be but with an unlimited free supply from the local carpet shop I'm not to worried about it and hey, you can't beat free!

The front where I'll staple the target onto.

Filled up with mulch I'd say it weighs in at around 50lbs or so. It took 7 bags of mulch which was really my only expense and @ $5.63 a bag at Home Depot the cost was minimal.

These pictures are with only 6 bags of mulch in there, the 7th completely filled it up.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
Cool, be sure to let us know how it works.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I figured I would post an update.

The trap works great. So far I have shot it about 1500 times and only had 2 rounds go through and that was because I was letting a friend shoot who isn't accurate at all and was hitting towards the top with my 300 Blackout. I have it infront of a large mound of old dirt so there is no concern for a round exiting other than minor damage.

I have put about 500 .300 blackout rounds into it, and probably about 200-300 each of 45acp, 38spl, and 9mm and probably a bulk pack of 22lr. So far the front carpet could probably be replaced but no mulch leaks out due to the divider and the 4 pieces of carpet holding it in. I even shot it with my .50 inline and it didn't break through.

I took the top off and dug around and it wasn't that hard to find the bullets. After probably about 5 minutes I easily had about 200 rounds out of it to remelt back down. I'll try and post some pics of it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shoot my rifles at 70yds but most of my pistol shooting is done at 7-10 yrs. That includes the 300blackout.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Great, I have a 75 yard range and have been looking for railroad ties or telephone poles on the cheap to use as a back stop. I might try this instead or as a temporary back stop.

A question on the mulch. Is this the rubber mulch (shredded rubber)? Or is it just bark/wood mulch?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's the rubber mulch. This took pretty much 7 bags which was about 40 bucks. But you pretty much get whole bullets out of it to recast.

·
Registered
465 Posts
burninghxcsoul said:
It's the rubber mulch. This took pretty much 7 bags which was about 40 bucks. But you pretty much get whole bullets out of it to recast.
Ok, thanks. Will be a nice project, especially for my flintlock. Now I have reason to get a mold and melting pot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here's a suggestion if you have any coal mines local ask for some conveyor belt. It's about 3/4 inch thick and will add in slowing your bullets.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After another 1000 or so rounds, my plan is to empty it and reclaim the lead. Then I want to put cardboard dividers up at specific intervals and fire different calibers into it so I can get a somewhat accurate idea of how far each one penetrates.

·
Registered
465 Posts
burninghxcsoul said:
After another 1000 or so rounds, my plan is to empty it and reclaim the lead. Then I want to put cardboard dividers up at specific intervals and fire different calibers into it so I can get a somewhat accurate idea of how far each one penetrates.
That's a great idea. Maybe, old denim jeans would work too?

I have a 7.62X54R, .308, .30-30, .222, .380. That would be a great experiment.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably but i would think the cardboard would give a little bit better definition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts