The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOES ANYONE HAVE A PICTURE OR IDEA FOR A HOMEMADE BROADHEAD TARGET? I THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING SOME PADDED INSULATION IN BAGS AND COMPRESSING THEM.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I thought about buying the spray foam insulation and filling a box lined with a garbage bag. after the foam cures remove it from the box and bag then paint on the targets.

there is a good design on youtube it uses carpet pieces compressed but not sure how well it will work for broadheads.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
for broadheads or field points. field points are pretty easy, broadheads are more challenging.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
snaring america said:
I thought about buying the spray foam insulation and filling a box lined with a garbage bag. after the foam cures remove it from the box and bag then paint on the targets.
by the time you buy enough spray foam to fill it you could by a BH target. It took me 5 cans to fill a couple of 4in by 4 ft pcv pipes for my beaver float set. it won't go as far as you think.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Was using homemade archery targets, fifteen years before the recession. In fact, never bought a new fancy archery target.

Use foam insulation from the building supply stores, cut up into 2' x 2' squares. I put newspaper between the 2' x 2' sheets. Gives a little more support. Use masking tape to fasten the sides.

A thin, light target, that I can carry with my bow to my hidden private sites. Nothing is left behind for a trespasser to discover. Carry in; carry out.

Braced by sticks, the arrow is stopped, but not completely embedded in foam plastic. After a target is hit by a broadhead fired arrow, I merely have to unscrew the exposed broadhead, causing less damage to the foam when pulling out the arrow.

Instead of having a target as long as the arrow, I only use enough foam and paper to stop the arrow completely. With enough distance to protect the vanes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Make my own with old feed bags stuffed with blue jeans (all metal removed).....stuff tightly and stitch the top closed....field points only, though

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
I've heard of that idea before... sounds cheap an easy. How long do they last for you?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
couple times a year we take cardboard boxes and stuff them with shrink wrap. don't know if they shoot fields or broadheads

·
Registered
897 Posts
I took a plastic feed bag and stuffed it tightly with plastic shopping bags. I use expandable BH's so I practice with fieldpoints.
The bag is lightweight, portable and costs nothing.
When the feedbag breaks down due to sunlight, I slide the old bag into another one.

·
Registered
904 Posts
They work great. I used all walmart bags, clothing, old dog food bags etc. two years now and just keep stuffing those walmart bags in. I used a big feed sack and put a rubber back piece of carpet in the back. Field tip only like stated.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
My dad used to take a big cardboard box that plants would come in and stuff it tight with 8 mil plastic we had removed when it was time to change the plastic on the greenhouse roofs. It worked pretty well but you shot the cardboard out real quick.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you look on archerytalk.com and the DIY forum, this is a popular topic. If you scroll through a few pages you can see some truely awesome DIY targets. Some of those guys really swear by them too

Theres some sweet ideas for bow holders and arrow holders and lots of misc stuff actually

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have used the expanding foam insulation trick for a long time. I just grab a cardboard box just the right size, which for me is about 18" X 24" and about 12 inches deep. Take one can of the foam and cover the bottom of the box, let it site for 15 minutes or so to give time for the foam to expand. Then shoot it again with the remainder of the first can. Let sit overnight to allow full expansion of the foam. Day two, do the same thing with the second can. 2 cans have done well for me ($8). You will not shoot through this with compound or Xbow. My current target is about 3-4 years old now. You can easily repair the box with another can of foam. The spray foam does not come apart like the foam insulation does when you pull the arrow back through the target with the broadhead still on.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
i just buy the red/white/blue styrofoam block from walmart for 17.00....i use it for my xbow and it lasted me 3 years........bob

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
hmmm i might have to try your idea
........bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts