The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got a few rats coming by for a meal in the chicken coop now and again. they are smart little buggers and ignore my traps...i put my trial cam out and watch them prance by the traps...so i dont want to poison the hens or the dog or cats in my area so now what? it seems they cant burp so i put out some beer tonight, i see you can make a drown bucket too. any other ideas of catching or safe poison to make at home?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Instant mashed potatoes. Make sure water is readily available.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
No way I'd use that stuff. He said he has dogs and cats around. That stuff kills within steps once ingested.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Get a std size metal trash can (I guess they still make them), throw some chicken feed in the bottom and lean a board against it. They will climb the board & jump in. They will not be able to bite through a metal can.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Snake shot barely kills snakes, if indeed it does kill snakes, it would be worthless for rats.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Get a large box trap.Go the pet store and buy an adult female rat.Tie her in the cage.They will find her.You can kill them yourself.Go to a pet store that sells large snakes they will have rats.We bred them and fed them to our Burmese Python.If it's not pregnant it will be in heat.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Make sure your rat traps are on the edge tight to the walls. Rats will never run off an edge. You'll get them, use peanut butter.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I made a box about 2" high by 10'x10 with a lid that unscrewed. I put a 2" opening in two corners then would put my poison inside it. The opining is to small to let anything other than rats into it.
Is your coop off the ground? If not raise up till it is about 10inches off the ground. Rats don't like to travel in the open.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup baking soda
Mix real well & put in something like a tuna or cat food can

The baking soda causes carbon dioxide gas & causes internal
Blockage which causes rupture

Rats are not able to pass gas

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
John S.- regarding rat shot in a .22. Works well, but you need to be fairly close. I have shot probably 30 rats in my youth that were in my pigeon coop. Most of them were about 8 to 10 feet away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts