The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering what would be the best handgun for home protection and the most cost effective. I have been wondering what to do and which route I should go.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Handgun - anything above a 380

Long gun - 12 ga. 7 1/2 shot or buck if your not worried about going through a few walls

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have children but they are old enough to know not to play with it. i also have shotgun with buckshot. but looking for something smaller

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
.45 1911, because they don't make a .46.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
I have a couple different handguns for personal protection. But when it comes to home protection it's the 12 gauge, cylinder bore, loaded with 4 shot.....hands down!

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and cylinder bore with birdshot.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have a glock 21 (.45 ACP), and a Smith nub nose, .38spl +P to hold down the hatch's til I can get to the Shotty which is loaded with 00 Buck...

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Have a .45 and also a few other guns around. Gf has a 9mm and also a few others. If time would permit would get the 12 ga and fill it with 3 1/2 in steel BB's

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
John S said:
.45 1911, because they don't make a .46.
I'm with John. That gun served us perfectly through 2 World Wars, Korea and Nam. It's a little heavy, but like Col Cooper says, a handgun should be comforting more than comfortable. If a guy breaks into your home, the 17 shots you get from a 9mm don't come into play. You might get 1-3. I'd prefer those few shots pack as much punch as possible, and the 45 is less likely to go through 2 walls into the kid's room than a 357, 44mag, 454 casull or 500 S&W. Perfect compromise of stopping power and penetration.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I'm with John S, on this one too, I have several guns but for home protection and carry I have a springfield GI 1911 .45.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
That said, I still think that when push comes to shove, nothing will quite get er done like a big old charge of 00 Buckshot. Getting hit with 9 .33 cal balls will totally change outlooks for anybody.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Hand gun - .45

Long gun - 12 ga. with bird shot, won't use 00 because of over penetration.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
If you're not looking for a carry gun then a full size 9mm, 40, or 45, depends on the recoil level you're comfortable with. Nothing wrong with a 357 or 44 spl revolver either.

Don't plan on a single well delivered shot ending a confrontation so fast follow-up is just as important or even moreso as power or bore size. Might want to consider this in regards to recoil levels. Higher recoil results in slower and possibly less accurate follow-up.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
SP 101 snub w/ crimson trace. I keep it loaded with 357's but prob should go with 38+P's due to noise and muzzle flash in the dark.
Will probably switch to the M&P 9mm if I ever get enough money for the lasermax light w/ laser. That thing is awesome in the dark.
Have the Springfield 1911 also but I shoot the 357 and 9mm more so thats what I'm used to using.
I shoot the 9mm really well, especially with quick follow up shots and I don't feel undergunned at all using Double Tap 124+P gold dots. They make some HOT ammo

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I have a 12 gauge with HeviShot loaded. I also have my 30-06 close by if they try to flee. I DON'T MISS! Harm my family, I harm you.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Shooting someone when they are fleeing will get you about 20 years in the grey bar hotel, it is no longer self defense at that point, it is murder or attemted murder.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts