The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys made your own lock on stand before? I've seen plans before on how to build your own,
but I was wondering if many other people have tried. I'd like to build 2 or 3 before next summer
is over, and I hunt public land, so it needs to be completely removable/portable.

Here's a picture of something I'm talking about...or similar:

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I think that for safety purposes and even costwise you can buy a stand at Dicks' for 35 dollars on sale . I have several of these hangons that will hold 300 pounds . The platform is about what you show in the picture . Also lighter to hang safely . Nice looking stand there ....just my take on it ....Finn

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
My dad used to make his out of wood and chain link. He stopped making them himself after the chain broke and fell 16' to the ground. He broke both wrists and had them pinned for months.

I think my mom was even more upset after having to "wipe" and care for his every need. She told him that she would buy his stands for him from that time on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For $35.00 you can get a cheap hang on stand which won't weather like those in the picture...I wouldn't take a chance just to save a few bucks...I'll give you a stand if you need one if your close to the York area

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yep, Dick's got em.. $35 for a stand and $35 for a 16 foot of steps.

You are just askin' for trouble building a wooden stand. I guess it'd rot less if you removed it for the winter but wooden stands spook me out.

I came across a huge wooden triangle platform a few years back. It was new, and only had one of the three sides against the tree. The other two were connected to heavy duty ropes hung from a branch above and tightened to the two other corners. For the ladder, there were 3 16' 2X4's per side bolted together. It's the highest stand I've ever seen. Made me nervous just lookin' at it.

Another guy I know has one built on 4 telephone poles. Freaks me out.

I hope you choose to buy a TMA certified stand and use all available precautions getting up and down from it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Life is too short to take a chance like that...Please don't risk it, it isn't worth any deer in my freezer.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I wouldn't mess with a hang on, however, I have made and used a ladder and platform type stand. Simple to build and use, but they get heavy and awkward depending on how tall you go.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Looks to me like that would be a little on the heavy side for transporting in and out of the woods. Also I would not trust stepping from the last 2 planks while watching a deer. Looks like you could step right through that gap.

·
Super Moderator
13,869 Posts
I made and used home made tree stands for years in the 70'-80's before the new wave of manufactured stands were greatly improved over the Baker etc. At one time I probably had about a dozen active lock-on type stands in place and used all of them several times over several years. I inspected them regularly and stored them during the off months.Still have a couple around the garage or different camps. I never had a problem with a failure; However I agree it is safer to go with the manufactured stand and I am still a little picky when it comes to safety with the purchased stands.

However I believe the greatest danger is while climbing and descending...

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Ive been building my own stands for over 15 years, but I would never ever build one like that. I use thin wall conduit and weld them together. Id put my stands up against any "manufactured" stands as far as safety, and I know for a fact mine are a heck of alot more stabile. Heck my one buddy is 350lbs and he doesnt hesistate to get into them.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Ditto all the above----Not worth an injury or worse using that stand. Ill also donate you a Dicks Lock on. This time of the year they go on sale---use a 10 off card plus a 10-20 percent off cupon and you are around 25 bucks!!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
redrockhunter said:
i would rather sit on the ground than in a stand like that.
Dude thats just wrong.
The man worked hard on that.

IMO that set up made out of steel or aluminum would work for me. Maybe a bigger seat and platform.

Wood and nails is a bit scary

Just looked at it again I agree with redrockhunter.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I wouldn't build a replica of the picture, but a similar style, from different materials....just wasn't sure how or from what. I also didn't know you could find safe stands for so cheap. I think there's a Dicks in A/B/E or up in Scanton that I can get to between now and next summer.

Thanks for the couple offers to donate a stand. I'm not especially in a hurry or unable to hunt from the trees (I have a heavy climber now), so I'd feel bad taking your stand, but thank you.
But if you really just want to free up storage space and we find ourselves in the same neck of the woods, I'd be happy to help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts