The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tomatos are comming in like gang busters so my wife made some tomato juice like she does every year when we have a big surplus. I took a quart of the juice and reduced out a little more water then added a little garlic and onion powder(not the salt, the powder) and off the heat about an 1/4 pint of heavy cream, adjusted the salt and man oh man, what a good lunch. If you have never had tomato soup that was not out of a can, you garden guys should try this.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
John, what type of Toms? I'd give it a shot.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you want something really good drop a piece of parmesean cheese rind and let it steep out. The bartenders at my place have been making fresh bloody mary mix from local tomatoes.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a mix of Romas and Betterboys. I like Noobhunter's suggestion about the parmasan rind, I have done that with other soups, but not tomato, gotta try it.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Sounds good. One of my favs. Specially while in the stand!

·
Registered
12,523 Posts
Well I don't like the creamy tomato soup with dairy in it. But love good fresh tomato soup. Then it just absolutely positively unmistakeably must be accompanied by a Sour dough and Monterrey jack grilled cheese sandwich. Lil bit o heaven on Earth.

We cooked down a dozen pints of home made pasta sauce last weekend. Mrs. is fixing to do another dozen today.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I only got about 8 tomato plants. First time growing them in about 20 years and they turned out good. Problem is that I should of planted more like I will next year.That is the one thing about summer time I look forward to is fresh tomaters.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts