The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after about 20 years I'm back into archery. Purchased a nice 04 Hoyt Ultra Tec from a HPA member here about a month ago. Just shot it a couple times at a local indoor range and I am addicted! I would like to start shooting in the back yard so I start looking at these block targets and their reviews online. Not only are they very expensive, but they don't get the best reviews either.

Does anyone have any ideas or plans they care to share about home made targets/arrow stops. I would be using it outside in the back yard, portability is a plus but not needed.

Any and all comments welcome!

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
It's not homemade,but I bought the cabelas mag outfitter bag target,portable,light,and it's held up to thousands of shots,lot cheaper than the block.for homemade,I heard of guys shooting into bales of peat moss,I don't know how good that is though.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
get a feed bag, tie 1 golf ball in each corner of the bottom of the bag. Fill with grocery store bags and or shrink wrap from packaging. YOU WILL NEED ALOT! then sew it closed or fold over and wrap multiple times with shrink wrap. Hang by ropes tied to golf balls. Mine has lasted 3 yrs and going strong. Cost me $0.00 and 2 finger arrow removal!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I made one similar to bootoxen except I used a big box. I filled it with a whole lot of shrink wrap that was being thrown away at work. The cost-Free!!! Stops arrows good and they pull out easy. The only thing I don't like about it is my arrows get like a plastic film on them. I have to clean them off now and then.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Have heard of clothing and plastic grocery bags packed tightly inside of a feed bag working well. The bag targets you buy at the store are filled with cotton and pieces of fabric. Always had a problem with the bag target we have because the arrow sink in far. What happens is the back of the bag starts to bulge out and we have to stomp on it after a few shots. Bag targets have very easy arrow removal though. I have also hear of using dock foam for a target. Layered cardboard that is compressed tightly will also work for sometime. I had considered purchasing a Block target but I decided not to and bought a Rinehart 18-1. So far this target has worked well but arrow remove is a pain for carbon arrows (easy for aluminums though). I feel that targets simply just don't last and one of the biggest reasons for me personally is because like with my bag targets I always shot the center dot. If you utilize your entire target space by shooting various areas you should get better life out of your target. My Rinehart 18-1 has a one year warrenty but that warranty is only effective if all 18 dots to be shot are shot out.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I grew up with a burlap sac full of tightly balled up plastic grocery bags. We also used tightly wound up old clothes, which worked great until they get wet. Don't use broadheads on them though, you will have to disassemble the bag each time.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
My dad owns a greenhouse and when we change the plastic on some of the greenhouses we take a big cardboard box and fill it with the heavy plastic. You gotta compress the plastic tight and it works really well until you shoot the cardboard out

·
Registered
378 Posts
I use a block now , got it on sale at bass pro last year for under $30. I have it strapped to a stand with wheel so i can bring it in and out of the garage real easy. I grew up just shooing paper plates on a hay bale. It worked fine for 20 years , lol

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use seed bags filled with old clothes old pillows no jeans works great you can on to the second hand store and buy they stuff they are going to throw away for a couple of buck

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info!!! Too bad we just unloaded a truck full of stuff at the salvo, but it did help with the tax return LOL. Thanks again!

One more question, do you guys raise your targets to deer height, or at least to the height of the vitals when you shoot, or doesn't that matter?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
mine hangs fromthe kids old jumgle gym, about deer height.

FYI...I find that wrapping the outside of the feed bag with shrink wrap really helps.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Use a sheet of 4' x 8' foam insulation sheet from the building supply stores. Cut them into 2 foot sections. Put folded newpaper between the foam sheets and tape the ends with masking tape. Use only enough 2' x 2' sheets to stop the arrows and not embed them completely.

To extend the useful life, I would rotate the 2' x 2' sheets after awhile(rotate the holes really) and put in new newspaper, and use inexpensive masking tape to reseal the ends.

Works for me, but I never got past aluminum arrows, or into the new high speed compound bows, to experiment further.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again, thanks everyone for the posts!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I made one a couple of years ago by cutting cardboard strips 8 inches wide by 2 foot long then I took 2x6s 27 inches long and drilled holes in the four corners, ran 3/8 allthread through them to compress the cardboard worked very well if you shoot the carboard out just tighten the alltread up.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Peat moss block from local agway large size $12, stops field tips no problem, cut couple holes in top let it soak up some rain water to add more density the more it rains the denser it gets the better it will stop broad heads. .50 cents for orange circular stickers from trader horn, I leave it on ground, but I do climb on top of shed (approximately 11' high) and also do some shooting from treestand in tree in yard (15' high). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I just started using it this year, I bought it in June and it's still out there, my friend has been using same one for 2 years. With my old bow PSE beast it stopped everything with my new bow Matthews Reezen it took a couple of rains for it to get heavy enough to do a good job stopping broadheads, and I figure for $12 bucks if I have to replace it midsummer this year it's still not a bad deal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts