The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body ever make a layout boat? Looking at maybe building a glass 1 man layout over the off season.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Not sure many guys on here have. Seems like alot more older fellas run homemade boxes. To be honest you should head over to greatlakeswaterfowler.com and ask there. Alotore
Layout hunters there it seems than here. Goodluck, and post up pics!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Another spot to get some great info: duckboats.net. They can point you to do it yourself plans. A really good site for duck boat and decoy makers.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
VincentPa has made one, I've seen it. It's pretty nice. He's got it decked out with a piece of ghillie cloth and wears a ghillie suit sitting inside. Sitting on the edge of a swamp he completely disappears. I'm fabricating a two man one out of aluminum, but not doing an open hole cockpit. I'm building it like a floating layout blind with a 7hp on the back.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've built two of them over the years.The first was a copy of an antique one 30 years ago. Weighed a ton and could only be towed. The second one I made with some plans I bought. Only weighed about 100lbs at the most but was on the small size and I sold it after using it 5 years.
If you like wood working and building stuff , go for it , if not your better off buying one. Last one cost about $600 to build. I still have the plans if you want them. P.M me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts